real time web analytics
Report - - Nottingham Road Tunnel, Derby | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Nottingham Road Tunnel, Derby

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Lord Rochester's Monkey

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
A quick post based on a quick fun explore today in Derby. Hope this works!

Near the site of the old Nottingham Road Station in Derby, which I rarely had a reason to walk past until lockdown, is a patch of unused ground between the railway and the council depot. Round New Year time I first noticed, through a rare gap in the undergrowth, the brick tunnel that runs directly parallel to the railway. A stream issues from it and sinks into a culvert close to the gate which separates the waste ground from Nottingham Road. At the time, despite the wall from the bridge nearby being tantalizingly easy to climb, there was too much traffic - and too many pedestrians - nearby to take advantage...

TramTunnel1.jpg

Today, however, not only could I see that the foliage had been extremely cut back, revealing the tunnel properly, but thanks to lockdown the area was traffic and grockle free. Seemed too good an opportunity to waste... Only had my phone with me and wasn't sure if I'd been spotted, so didn't hang about too long. The tunnel is about 70 metres long from portal to its end wall, and there's little to no tagging, and a stream runs down the centre. The brickwork seems to be in pretty good condition!

TramTunnel2.png

Looking at some OS maps of the area. the stream that is now diverted through the tunnel was possibly on the surface as late as 1913, but was almost certainly underground by the 1930s. This may have been part of the Derby tram system depots, though I couldn't see any evidence of rails near this entrance. I need to do more research, but this was definitely a fun little find! Would also like a crawl up this grotty looking little tunnel, and I wonder if it has anything to do with the drainage for the Derby Canal.

TramTunnel3.png

The stream flows on under the concrete in the middle of the picture and drops into a smaller culvert that channels it under the road, and presumably down to the Derwent. Somebody was walking past as I tried to look at this so need to

TramTunnel4.png

Literally a ten minute, spur of the moment explore. But a very interesting little place, and some lovely brick work. Hope to be able to make a discreet return visit here at some point soon! Thanks for looking!

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
Looks like it holds some decent potential my advice is to back with a head torch your phone will take good enough pictures with a decent torch have a look in the drain but wait Till lockdown has lifted before entering it look forward to viewing a update on this report :thumb

moopudped

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Is this not on stores road derby? just after rail bridge between the builders yard and council depot?

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Agree with D&B head back with decent light after lockdown. Advertising climbing a wall and wandering right now, isnt perhaps the best idea whilst on lockdown.

Like D&B I would love to see an update soon.

Lord Rochester's Monkey

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Agree with D&B head back with decent light after lockdown. Advertising climbing a wall and wandering right now, isnt perhaps the best idea whilst on lockdown.

Like D&B I would love to see an update soon.

Point taken and noted. To be fair I could argue I was doing my daily exercise, hadn't travelled far from my house, and was social distancing; not sure if it would wash...

Who has read this thread (Total: 406) View details