real time web analytics
Report - - Nottingham Underground Shelter (the return) | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Nottingham Underground Shelter (the return)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

B

baalamb

Further to this thread, and later this thread, I decided the disused air-raid shelter on Mansfield Road was worth a look in person. Traffic on Mansfield Road just never seems to die down, making getting in a little cheeky, but we managed without incident.

Apparently this was accommodation for 100 people during the war (looks to me like it would hold more). There are still ladies and gents toilet cubicles, and very faded and flaking instructions on lighting the emergency oil lamps. There's a bricked-up emergency exit passage, which from what I gather leads to some disused parts of the old sand mine. Not sure where that would have come out though. I'm guessing it's been blocked by building work now. Just near the entrance theres quite a nice carving saying "T. Holloway 1868". Don't know if that's real or not, but it certainly could be with the age of the place.

It's a big place, with some reasonably high ceilings in places.
CIMG0307.jpg

You can see flint embedded in the sandstone, and tool marks on the walls and columns.
CIMG0304.jpg

The roots are creeping through the cracks, and causing occasional cave-ins.
CIMG0322.jpg

Some of them are quite pretty.
CIMG0300.jpg

PICT1340.jpg

PICT1373.jpg

That pallet in all its beuatiful decaying glory.
CIMG0342.jpg

A closer view of the fantastic fungus.
CIMG0343.jpg

Strange place for a threatening sign...
CIMG0302.jpg

Remains of cables and light fittings dangle.
PICT1349.jpg

Directly above this mound of earth and rubble, there is a shaft with a manhole at the surface. Whoever's garden it's in obviously didn't want to pay for a skip.
PICT1377.jpg

They don't make litter like this any more.
PICT1379.jpg

If the decay carries on at the current rate, there'll probably be quite a few more cave-ins with the way the roots are coming in. The ceiling is indeed a little fragile in places. I can see why they stopped public tours.

All in all, a fantastic place, with oodles of history, and a slightly eerie feel.