real time web analytics
Report - - Oaks Colliery Barnsley 06-2014 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Oaks Colliery Barnsley 06-2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Oak's Colliery Headstock/Winding House….

Solo visit, After seeing Dan Walton's report i knew i couldn't waste any time getting this done, Cheers Dan for the intel. I have looked at this place quite a few time s over the years never having any success. I evan asked Fishbrain to see if he could help rig up some ropes to get up to the first level….No need now, however be quick if you wish to see this. The site itself is small and a memorial to the tragedy of the explosion that killed so many men and boys. I was really surprised by what is left and makes for a great little explore, espacially if you like them industrial and this did not disappoint. it may not be epic but is of great importance and i'm so glad after so long getting this done. 2014 has turned out to be an epic year so far with one great explore after another.

Info from wiki….
The Oaks Colliery, which was one of the largest coal mines working the Barnsley area in South Yorkshire Coalfield, mined a seam that was notorious for firedamp. Almost 20 years before, on 5 March 1847, The Oaks colliery suffered its first disaster when a blast killed 73 men and boys. As mine management was aware of firedamp, there were strict rules about the use of safety lamps. A ventilation system was also used to carry any gas that emerged from the seam out of the mine. However the coal in this seam was known to contain methane making it a very dangerous work.

On Wednesday 12 December 1866, 340 men and boys were working the day shift. With less than an hour of the shift remaining, a huge explosion ripped through the workings. The force of the blast blew the cage up No. 1 shaft into the headgear, breaking the coupling. The cage was recovered and replaced to enable a party of "pit deputies" (foreman) to descend the pit to see the devastation. At the bottom of the shaft, they found a number of badly burned men who were sent up to the surface. The dead were taken to their homes and the survivors were given medical attention. By midnight, the exhausted rescuers withdrew to continue their work the next day.

The next morning, 27 rescuers went down the pit with Mr Minto, the underviewer, and mining engineer Parkin Jeffcock to inspect the conditions under which they were working. But as Jeffcock finished inspecting the upcast shaft, another huge explosion occurred killing all the rescuers. The blast was powerful enough to rush up all three shafts at the colliery. A third explosion took place a few hours later, again affecting all three shafts.
In total the explosions killed 361 miners and 27 rescuers. Among the many dead were the pit ponies and their boy handlers, who hauled wagon loads of coal from the workings to the mine shaft. They had all been killed in the first explosion.

EmptyName153.jpg

EmptyName139.jpg

EmptyName161.jpg

EmptyName9.jpg

EmptyName56.jpg
EmptyName52.jpg

EmptyName85.jpg

EmptyName68.jpg
EmptyName75.jpg

EmptyName91.jpg

EmptyName101.jpg

EmptyName109.jpg

EmptyName113.jpg

EmptyName117.jpg

EmptyName124.jpg

EmptyName135.jpg

EmptyName129.jpg

Idle Hands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That looks nice... shame there aren't more places like this one left.

Nicely shot too :thumb

Dan Walton

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ace photos mate glad YOu got in and had a look around won't be long till it's secure again .

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice ones :thumb

Pity that in the space of a few hours since your pics the control cabin roof has already been smashed down onto the control panel below, probably from someone standing on the roof I imagine , hope they got the shot/access they needed , can't blame the Metal Fairies this time :)

An impressive place I thought all the more so with the history and the extensive loss of life :) that I'd never even heard of .