real time web analytics
Report (Permission Visit) - Oaks water tower. Norton. Sheffield - Aug 2015 | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report (Permission Visit) Oaks water tower. Norton. Sheffield - Aug 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Vertigo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi I recently had the opportunity to visit oaks water tower. With permission unaccompanied. I thought it would be rude not to snap a few pics.

"This landmark on the City's Southern skyline at the junction of Hemsworth Road and Norton Lane was built at a cost of approximately £90,000 to provide an adequate supply of water in the Norton Area where there are about ten thousand dwellings including the large housing estates in the Gleadless Valley. The Tower was officially opened by the Lord Mayor of Sheffield (Alderman J. W. Sterland, M.B.E., J.P.) on the 12th July, 1961.

The entire structure which has a diameter of 64 ft. at the base and a height of 109 ft. is built of reinforced concrete. The water tank is supported by a series of twenty-six columns 53 ft. high. It has a diameter of 60 ft., a depth of 18 ft. and a capacity of 300,000 gallons with a top water level of 828 ft.

Originally the Norton area was entirely supplied by water from Redmires, via Ringinglow, by gravitation, but the increasing demand particularly at peak draw-off periods, made it necessary to provide a supplementary supply. The additional supply is drawn from Rivelin, the water being pumped through Norton Lees Pumping Station. When the Redmires, water proves inadequate an electrically controlled automatic valve on the Ringinglow, main closes that supply and the area is fed from water in the Tower.

As this falls to a certain level, the pumps in the basement automatically come into operation to refill the tank with water from Rivelin until such time as the Redmires, supply again becomes available as it normally is during the night period.

At the top of the Tower an observatory with an open gallery affords on a clear day a fine panoramic view of the City and countryside for miles around. A lift is provided for easy access to the gallery.

Anyway onto the pics

Sorry about the quality only had my phone on me.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
That's great! I've always wanted to see inside this. I remember quizzing kitty about it ages ago. Thanks for sharing.

rich_b1982

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Was wondering how the hell you pulled this off, but then I saw it was a permission visit. Cheers for posing. Good to get to see inside of it!

Vertigo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Was wondering how the hell you pulled this off, but then I saw it was a permission visit. Cheers for posing. Good to get to see inside of it!

For my next trick I'm gonna try and get some pics of the chimney off jct 34 m1.