real time web analytics
Report - - Oakwood Mill, Millbrook 01/12 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Oakwood Mill, Millbrook 01/12

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

bignickb

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I have had my eye on this site for a while and in a fit of explore withdrawal – I drove my heavily smoking car to Hartshead Power Station, parked up and wandered to this lasting reminder of when Manchester led the world in textiles, Scuttlers battered each other with belts and people worked themselves close to death in these places.
Oakwood started out as cotton mill in 1851 and was owned by Staley Mills at that time! An extension consisting of an Engine room was added in 1908, it is distinctive with white tile bricks from floor to roof. Uses have varied since that time; prisoners of war containment, precision engineering in the late 70’s,
It had turned its’ last reel in 1961 but still operated as Dukinfield bleaching Co. Ltd.
Its’ existence is only retained due to it being one of the 55 Grade 2 listed buildings in the area with a possibility of conversion to residential use.
Now it is a shell but still very photogenic! The cellars were creepy because the dripping water sounded like footsteps so I kept looking around to make sure there were no chavs, Gypsies or junkies in attendance! I really need an explore partner these days!
On with the shots! Daylight was vanishing so I had to act quick!

Main building – sadly I didn’t have time to try this section.
Oakwood-72.jpg

Chimney.
Oakwood-10.jpg

Vent pipe to chimney base
Oakwood-79.jpg

Vent pipe
Oakwood-87.jpg

Oakwood-89.jpg

Basement power board.
Oakwood-57.jpg

Oakwood-48.jpg

Oakwood-28.jpg

The dripping noise was very loud and unnerving!
Oakwood-27.jpg

Upper level with ornate supports.
Oakwood-58.jpg

Engine room ground level
Oakwood-102.jpg

First floor level
Oakwood-5.jpg

Wider shot with main doors
Oakwood-104.jpg

Parting shot! My fingers had lost all their feeling in the cold, so I left.
Oakwood-114.jpg

Who has read this thread (Total: 8) View details