real time web analytics
Report - - Odeon, Cheltenham - March/April 2009 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Odeon, Cheltenham - March/April 2009

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Hpipe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Some history:

The Odeon cinema in Cheltenham started life on 6th March 1933 as The Gaumont Palace. It was designed by William Edward Trent and built with a seating capacity of 1,774. Additional facilities included a café and a ballroom. In 1937 it became simply The Gaumont, before finally joining the Odeon chain in 1962. 1973 saw the division of the original picture house/theatre design into a 3 screen cinema, and a further division to seven screens occurred during the 90s. The cinema was built on the site of an old chapel. It’s said that many people refused to visit this venue when it opened for this reason.

The first film shown at the Gaumont Palace was Rome Express. On 5th November 2006, the Odeon closed its doors for the last time, redundant in the wake of a new 12 screen Cineworld outlet just 200m away. The last film to be screened was Saw 3.

Since 2006, the site has sat derelict. It’s subject to the usual local feelings that it is an eyesore and a waste of a beautiful old building, and rightly so. Unfortunately, despite the borough council refusing planning permission, a recent appeal overturned the decision, and work is likely to commence in the next month or so to convert it to restaurants and two nightclubs.

For me, this is an odd one. It’s probably the one single building that ignited my interest in UE, yet its one where I already knew, roughly speaking, what I would find inside. How naïve was I………? It was done and reported on a couple of years ago (http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=10329&highlight=cheltenham) but its certainly not the same place any more.

So, courageous and I, my partner in non-crime, set about nailing this bugger once and for all. We recce’d it on 3 or 4 separate occasions, with our plan changing, sometimes dramatically, each time. Then we finally got in, only to be totally scuppered by what had happened inside. In essence, our entry had positioned us in a spot in the building where only a very small part of it was accessible, due to the massive demolition that had already taken place. Obviously we made the best of that visit, but then recently returned better equipped. We got to almost every part of the building after that, but in truth, there’s not much to see anymore. There are very few clues to the former identity of this place left intact, and those that are will be gone very soon.

The building is formed, front to back, of three main parts. The front section, which housed the public entrance, foyer, offices and projection rooms, was built with a grand art deco façade. Here is it in its heyday:

(credit to Jeff, the website’s owner, on this) , and today
DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

In the middle is a concrete structure, with a steel roof, which housed the auditoriums/screens. The construction of this section gives very little clue to its age.

The internal work to strip the building back to its shell, and remove its cinema role has left huge empty voids in the middle part. This area was originally the upper section of Screen 1, then later screens 2 and 3.
DSC_0001-2.jpg

DSC_0013-1.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

At the rear of the building is a taller, brick built structure, which housed the original theatre stage and workings.

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0026-1.jpg

This part contains original features, but during the last 30 years of the building’s life this was never seen by the general public, and thus doesn’t really relate to its use as a cinema. Anyway:

Spiral staircases
DSC_0035.jpg

Huge extractor fan within a filter room for a very old a/c setup
DSC_0058.jpg

Original signage
DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

Roof access is possible on both the front and back sections
DSC_0022-1.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

Massive extraction on the front roof
DSC_0018-1.jpg

Nice windows in the emergency stairwells at the front. I remember coming down these after films on many many occasions, but never ever going up them!
DSC_0024-1.jpg

DSC_0025-1.jpg

DSC_0011-1.jpg

Unfortunately dickhead here didn’t charge the camera battery after an earlier trip, so that was my lot. Mr C took plenty more so they’ll no doubt follow.....

We came away with mixed feelings. The first impression was disappointment and sadness that the place had been gutted, but as our time in there went on, we realised that its just a great building, and that having it giving it a role as a home to something new, as opposed to total demolition, was actually a good thing. A rare thumbs up for progress I'd say.

Cheers