real time web analytics
Report - - Ogof Hen Ffynhonnau, Poachers Cave, North wales April 2016 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ogof Hen Ffynhonnau, Poachers Cave, North wales April 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Its been a while since I have posted a report but I have been kinda busy lately, so here it is.
I visited here with my local Caving Group, The Wirral Caving Group and really enjoyed it also the enjoyed the Usual Pub visit afterwards too.
This cave has some really nice features like the Big boss formation and the silt crocodile that I think is totally man made, it is very wet and very muddy.
The nickname Poachers cave is derived from an event that saw one caving club inadvertently digging this cave supposedly unaware of the other clubs long term efforts, the name stuck.

some history snaffled from UK caving.com
The short entrance crawl leads to the top of a 5m pitch which requires a ladder. This drops into the old Dyer's Adit. A hole down on the left leads to Old Spring's Passage which is a crawl through silt banks. The cave continues accross a rock bridge over two pits leading to an active streamway. The water sinks into a hole in the floor which can be followed to an area below the rock bridge. Upstream leads to a large chamber with large stalagmite boss. The roof then lowers reaching the loose final chamber which is close to the River Alyn.

There is a blurry patch almost in the middle of my photos because of a scratch on my lens.
The walk down to the cave is very pleasant
35007762552_8c57df2d23_c.jpg

the entrance is through a cave opening, through a steel door and down a steel hatch
34786115450_b8f854a674_c.jpg

34363278743_291c954392_c.jpg

Once inside the cave it is nice mix of stoopy and standy up bits
34786133540_bb513d94eb_c.jpg

one end of a passage called the isosceles Passage, a really nice feature
34327967244_633e679cb6_c.jpg

34327966534_b497a577fa_c.jpg

it looks tranquil but the noise of the water in this large chamber is quite something
35042137611_6d23fe951e_c.jpg

This is the Silt Crocodile...its gonna getcha if youre not quick :)
34327970424_86e5b39ffc_c.jpg

This is the Big Boss, above it is what is called the chandelier, eventually the two wll meet.
34327972174_44c7b62c16_c.jpg

The Boss from the side
35042140661_f40286d8ef_c.jpg

Dave and Steph, looking for the bar :)
34327965834_70edd359aa_c.jpg

My old D300 is tough as old boots and always buffs up okay
35007763482_6783ddbe5c_c.jpg

Cheers for looking

Last edited:

Lavino

28DL Full Member
Very nice mr Kwan I like the look of this place. Is the sigma still going then..

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Very nice mr Kwan I like the look of this place. Is the sigma still going then..
still going, but I am thinking about a new one, possibly the same lens or one like Lenstons, but I only have one kidney anyway so cant sell it :)

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
still going, but I am thinking about a new one, possibly the same lens or one like Lenstons, but I only have one kidney anyway so cant sell it :)

Yeah, deffo ditch the Sigma mate and grab a Tokina, far better lens, some decent quality second hand ones about which aren't a kings ransom too :thumb

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Cheers Ojay and Lavino, the Tokina looks fave at the moment, just wondering if I should go the full 9 yards and go Full frame ..may need to send santa a letter though :)

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
haha, grabbing a full frame body is one thing, 2 years on and I still haven't managed to afford a wide fx lens, I'm stuck with 28mm on that score

Each time I manage to cream some funds, the boiler packs up, the car needs summat sorting, or the Mrs spends it for me...LYF :(

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Glad its not just me that happens to Ojay :) I may just ask Lenston if I can use his wide lens seeing that he shoots Nikon and has too may lenses already ;)