real time web analytics
Report - - Oil Mills West Tunnels Dover (5-4-15) | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Oil Mills West Tunnels Dover (5-4-15)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

grrantt

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Situated behind Hammond's offices and petrol station in Dover are large numbers of tunnels that form what are known as the 'Oil Mill Caves'. These places have seen various uses over the years, including use as shelters during both world wars. Today some are still in use for storage while others have been abandoned.

This particular section (which is not linked to the other parts of the 'Oil Mills') appears to date from the early to mid nineteenth century and contains large, almost cavernous tunnels reinforced with brick. There is evidence of some parts originally having a second floor. Modern Halogen lighting has been installed although all the bulbs have burned out - the relay for the lighting still energises when the main lightswitch is operated
FB_20150405_21_57_20_Saved_Picture.jpg
FB_20150405_21_57_34_Saved_Picture.jpg
WP_20150227_21_56_57_Pro.jpg
WP_20150227_21_59_59_Pro.jpg
WP_20150227_22_04_01_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Well done on getting out but ......Whenever you post a report you need to add History of the place, whether it"s a building or a Shelter etc etc Also posting some pics that show the place that others can appreciate rather than a miss match of ? which for someone that"s not been, could be anywhere.

This is where using a Camera on a Tripod & light painting the area to be Photographed is really the best option. and producing enough pics to form a report.

grrantt

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I know.absolutely no history about these tunnels and I couldn't get any better pictures with the camera I had with me at the time but when I revisit I will get some more shots now I have the owners permission

Miss Mayhem

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I know.absolutely no history about these tunnels and I couldn't get any better pictures with the camera I had with me at the time but when I revisit I will get some more shots now I have the owners permission

What camera do you have?
If you have permission you could ask the owner more about the
place next time you visit :thumb

Els

Obsessed with BS7671
Regular User
Don't look like train tunnels tbh. Can you give some better location info and a bit of background about this place otherwise it's a coded site, whcih we don't do. Also, I would have to say, apart from the first two, the picture quality is quite poor, might be worth a re-visit with a tripod.

grrantt

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I think it may be easier to just delete this post like I say I know nothing about the tunnels but what the guy who told me about them when I was tipped off of location I just do this as a little hobby to explore forgotten place take afew pics for people to see before all these special places get lost forever

Els

Obsessed with BS7671
Regular User
I think it may be easier to just delete this post like I say I know nothing about the tunnels but what the guy who told me about them when I was tipped off of location I just do this as a little hobby to explore forgotten place take afew pics for people to see before all these special places get lost forever

If you don't kown the you don't know, that's fair enough, but if you want to post and share locations then really you need to give enough info for the average interested party to be able to figure out where it is, otherwise it's a coded site.

grrantt

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
If you don't kown the you don't know, that's fair enough, but if you want to post and share locations then really you need to give enough info for the average interested party to be able to figure out where it is, otherwise it's a coded site.

I can tell where all locations are to many in dover but I was reading you post about the map so when I can view the map I will add my input for others to experience :)

Els

Obsessed with BS7671
Regular User
I can tell where all locations are to many in dover but I was reading you post about the map so when I can view the map I will add my input for others to experience :)

I'm not sure I entirely understand exactly what it is your trying to say. Also your pictures are now missing.

grrantt

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I'm not sure I entirely understand exactly what it is your trying to say. Also your pictures are now missing.

From what I understand the locations of tunnels are usually not spoken about correct me if I'm wrong I've edited the post and just researched there use put abit of info on to when I can add the exact location on the map I will for others to visit hope this is correct now :)

Reactions: Els

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
If the rest of the pics were like the first two, that"s appeared since you posted ? it"d be fine visually. The trouble even with a 40mp camera phone is it"s never going to be as good as a static camera unless you rig it up accordingly and the sensor size is going to be a lot smaller than a DSLR etc & in the way it handles noise during night shots etc
But decent lighting is the key to both as you know :)

The way this Forum works is you name the place and general locations, using Google etc info if unsure, although most people usually know where they"ve been & what it"s called TBH. And add some History off the NET (usually:)

It makes a more interesting report for others viewing. Look at all the other reports that have been posted. You"re not being singled out mate it"s how it works here :)

Edit That"s better mate :thumb Don"t forget to put Permissive Visit in the appropriate header if that"s what it was ?

sirjonnyp

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I echo the above comments, but also worth noting that these are known as 'Oil Mills West', 'Upper' and 'Lower' are the other parts to the East of this set :thumb