real time web analytics
Report - - Old Cocking Limeworks, West Sussex, June 2018 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Old Cocking Limeworks, West Sussex, June 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

BertieBird

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I hope you'll forgive me for making a report on such a heavily reported area. I feel this is my first 'proper' explore where I went to a location and had to actually do some fence hopping and I managed to find the courage to do it by myself! I really enjoyed it and I'm so glad I went.

The limeworks have been abandoned since 1999 and everything has been left behind. It's very close to a road so there is a lot of graffiti but it kind of adds to it in places. I won't add much on the history as I'm sure it's been said many times before.

I first came upon the quarry itself where there remain a few large pieces of machinery. The lush summer foliage looks so good next to the red rust.
P1060226.JPG

Inside.
P1060233.JPG

P1060234.JPG

P1060236.JPG

P1060242.JPG

P1060252.JPG

After sitting in the shade of one of the machines and having a break from the sun, I checked Google maps for the location of the processing plant and headed down the track. It was quite overgrown in some places. On G Maps there is a track it tells you to follow but it is so overgrown now it's pretty much non-existent, and so I paralleled it through a field instead.
This was my first look at some of the old machinery in the woods.
P1060258.JPG

There's a small outhouse with a series of control panels inside.
P1060263.JPG

P1060265.JPG

I couldn't bring myself to go near the edges of the kilns. If you fall down there, you're screwed, and the sheet metal around them was looking rather rusty. In fact part of me was nervous to peek down and see what had fallen in already!
P1060269.JPG

The old truck was cool. I find it so strange that this stuff just gets left.
P1060282.JPG

P1060279.JPG

P1060281.JPG

I spent a long while just (slightly nervously) wandering round and enjoying the sun and scenery.
Looking up at the kilns- you can see here what I mean about that dodgy sheet metal- I don't expect that to hold too much weight!
P1060275.JPG

A warehouse for storage I guess. There was still powder in there in a pile.
P1060285.JPG

P1060292.JPG

There were some smaller outbuildings, one of them had an old folded metal bedframe in.
P1060289.JPG

P1060297.JPG

The old conveyor belts were still there.
P1060309.JPG

More storage? And a frame above for maneuvering around. There were some old truck seats kicking around on the floor.
P1060312.JPG

P1060321.JPG

Cripple lime?
P1060325.JPG

P1060333.JPG

I went round the back of the buildings, closer to the road.
P1060341.JPG

I wonder what's in there. I didn't go inside.
P1060346.JPG

Not sure I would trust any of the stairs anymore! The belts and stairs silhouettes looked cool against the sun though.
P1060355.JPG

Thanks for taking a look! Hope you liked it. I'm so glad I went on such a sunny day, felt like I was in a video game. :)

P1060228.JPG

P1060303.JPG

P1060332.JPG

BertieBird

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks all! You’re lovely. Glad you like it. I’ll update the history soon :)

Commie

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This site is a personal favorite of mine, you should be more confident with going into the buildings and near the edges of the kilns, the floors are fairly steady and we managed to get pretty much everywhere including the top of the main buildings, there's so much to see and you barely scraped the top. Take another look and go in the buildings especially as this lime works is so well preserved!

Ste1000

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice, but you seem to have missed the main crusher, I didn't find it the first time I was there.
I've been up those stairs they are fun.
There's more to see if you go in all the outbuildings.
I was riding my motorbike around the quarry until the farmer told me to clear off.

BertieBird

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice, but you seem to have missed the main crusher, I didn't find it the first time I was there.
I've been up those stairs they are fun.
There's more to see if you go in all the outbuildings.
I was riding my motorbike around the quarry until the farmer told me to clear off.
I thought there was more to it but I decided to leave and I think I'll come back with my boyfriend and do some proper snooping (minus motorbikes)! Thanks for the heads up :D

babes2010

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Visited over three yeas ago, looking very overgrown now, surprising how quickly nature takes over. Never saw the crane though.