Web
Analytics
Old hand at exploring, new at forum posting. HighPeak. | New Members Introduction | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Old hand at exploring, new at forum posting. HighPeak.

Scoobysrt

Stay in, save lives.
Regular User
Hi guys, I'm in the high peak near Buxton, been lurking here for a few months and joined recently.
Been exploring for over 30 years but never joined a forum or group or anything until now.
I'm running out of ideas of where to visit locally, done the usual mills etc but after somthing a bit more special.
Seen mention of people saying there's loads of stuff around here and it's often mentioned about underground exploring, if it's the caves I'm not bothered but if it's bunkers I'm well up for that, I used to work around a lot of ex mod underground tunnels and hidden rooms so it's like second nature to me lol.

Would like to visit some fresher places that have stuff inside, I'm starting to get bored of crawling through pigeon muck to see a broken office chair lol. I explore with a mate these days but otherwise I've never mentioned my urbex to anyone else so have to rely on my own research to find places but I've had nothing new for months.

I've recently revisited 2 sites I did a long time ago but this time I've started taking pictures with my phone so I'm going to post up those visits for interest (they aren't new places and have been covered many times) and hopefully I can become a trusted member on site.

Thank you for letting me be a member of this great site.

Olkka

28DL Regular User
Regular User
One thing this site is particularly good for is opening your eyes to what's really out there at a nationwide level, or even beyond. The more you peruse - the more you'll be spending on petrol/trains/flights. If furniture still in situ is your thing then there are plenty of old cottages, mills (further afield) and hospitals that can fit the bill for starters - all the intel you'll need to get stuck in will be on this site somewhere. Keep browsing, keep travelling basically!

Scoobysrt

Stay in, save lives.
Regular User
For sure, before I came here I had done the local stuff on and off for years but a recent enthusiasm after watching a lot of you tube I joined forces with a mate who has been doing it for years as well but he's been further afield. He put me onto this site and I've already had a few places come up on the weekly emails that I've marked as a future mooch.

I'm disappointed new barn farm (house of the damned) has been stripped as I was going to go there next week.

I don't mind traveling but my mate has a dog we don't like leaving alone for too long but we can sort a sitter out I'm sure.

Thanks for your advice.

Scoobysrt

Stay in, save lives.
Regular User
I did some light caving when I was younger (nothing very deep) it's not really my thing to be honest and my body can't cope with it anymore lol.

I don't mind a bit of man made tunnel investigation though, I like bunkers and air raid shelters but if I'm honest I struggle to find them around here (I do need to have a good look on here for them though).

Thanks for your reply.

Scoobysrt

Stay in, save lives.
Regular User
I've just looked up the Megatron, although impressive it's not my sort of thing, I prefer buildings or if i really must buildings underground.
I have a couple of secret pictures taken in the sas training underground city at Hereford, that's a place I would love to explore fully. They have a plane, village, coaches, hospital and everything down there.
I want to go in the Stockport shelters but they were quite expensive when I first heard about them and not been open whenever I've been past since.

I think my limits are the odd underground bunker here and there, due to my body failing I can't take much walking on uneven rocky ground and I certainly can't spend any length of time crouching or bending over.

I'm enjoying looking at the various threads on underground exploring but I'm gonna leave it to you to show me what im missing lol.

Scoobysrt

Stay in, save lives.
Regular User
Thanks bud.
I quite like the excitement of researching the net and the locals and Google maps, It makes an explore so much more enjoyable for me, I'm so glad i finally joined here, im loosing hours on this site and you're all so nice and amenable as well.
I hope I can give back somthing.

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Welcome along, look forward to seeing a few reports.

The mines and culverts aren't that bad, honest ;)

Scoobysrt

Stay in, save lives.
Regular User
I'm going to go to the lead mine, it's a tourist attraction now so dont know of any exploring opportunity but I thought it would get my enthusiasm going for a bit of underground mooching.
When I was younger I was told of the story about the miner/caver who got trapped in a cave at castleton, they couldn't get him out so they poured molten lead down the hole encasing him. I think that put me off a bit lol.

Starrmichelle101

28DL Member
28DL Member
I've just looked up the Megatron, although impressive it's not my sort of thing, I prefer buildings or if i really must buildings underground.
I have a couple of secret pictures taken in the sas training underground city at Hereford, that's a place I would love to explore fully. They have a plane, village, coaches, hospital and everything down there.
I want to go in the Stockport shelters but they were quite expensive when I first heard about them and not been open whenever I've been past since.

I think my limits are the odd underground bunker here and there, due to my body failing I can't take much walking on uneven rocky ground and I certainly can't spend any length of time crouching or bending over.

I'm enjoying looking at the various threads on underground exploring but I'm gonna leave it to you to show me what im missing lol.

The air raid shelters are not that expensive children go in free adults roughly £5 for the actual opened ones. I’ve been so many times I just love it

Scoobysrt

Stay in, save lives.
Regular User
That's come down then, last time I went past (admittedly a good few years ago) I could have sworn it was £20 per adult.
I'll have to make the effort to go down although that a6 really isn't getting any better lol.