Report - - Old lane mill - Halifax - July 2011 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Old lane mill - Halifax - July 2011

Mr Beady

Over 8
Regular User
Visited with badbatz and his mate
In 1816, a mill is recorded here with Jonathan Akroyd. In 1818, it was used by Akroyd, Garlick & Company.
A steam-powered worsted mill was built by James Akroyd in 1825. This was one of the largest mills in the district. The mill was said to be fire-proof.
In 1827, Akroyd built the first Jacquard looms in Britain, and the mill was iron-framed and fitted with stone floors – the first in any British mill – to support the machinery.
The offices of the Woodside Penny Savings Bank were originally here.
The night watchman fired a blunderbuss each night to signal that he was on duty.

Owners and tenants of the works have included

Jeremiah Rawson [1836]
William Henry Rawson [1870]
William H. Rawson & Company [1861, 1874]
Joseph Moxon Kirk & Sons [1890] – with one or two exceptions, this was the largest dye works in England
Old Lane Dyeworks Company Limited [1905]
Davis, Gordon & Company [1905]
Allen North & Company [1905]

It was damaged by fire on 21st January 1905.

The mill later formed a part of the Dean Clough complex.

Pictures -











Similar threads