real time web analytics
Report - - Old Warehouses - Waterford, Ireland - September 2015 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Old Warehouses - Waterford, Ireland - September 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

MJ-XX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History:

This is a large warehouses complex based about 1km north of Waterford City, close by to the Red Iron Bridge (which I did a report on previously). http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/red-iron-bridge-waterford-ireland-august-2014.t91626

In brief, from what I gathered the main role of the warehouses was for oil and petroleum products, used by the TOP Oil company, it's still somewhat in use today as a filling point for tanker trucks, but it's all locked up aside from the occasional truck coming in.

Another part of the complex seemed to be a courier depot, and there's evidence that it was used for alcohol cargo via train. Old documents and train tracks on site seem to suggest so.

There is also evidence of a docks being used there, but I have very little or no information on this place so I'm going by what I found there.

Seems to have closed around 2001. However, as I mentioned there is still one large fuel tank in use at the rear of the complex for oil storage.

The trip:

When I arrived at the front gate it appeared to be open with a fuel truck inside. So I took the long way around and decided to walk over to the old red iron bridge for a better vantage point. Here I could see the truck leaving and locking the gate

RTB5ZTS.jpg

2. I walked along the river, the first buildings I came to appeared to be in relation to boats and docks. The warehouse was huge but empty, very tall. Not sure what it's purpose was.

gNhGAZr.jpg

0OPl5MA.jpg

4. There was an old boat beached on the dock.

w1JtIBS.jpg

0GsjWnz.jpg

6. The main yard had old train tracks embedded in the concrete. The dock was behind me here, to the right appeared to be the cargo depot. The centre building was a main office for TOP oil, and the left is the warehouses.

U5BT9RA.jpg

7. Inside of the cargo depot

qml3sXE.jpg

8. Lots of cork

3f6fpiE.jpg

9. Iarnród Éireann run the railroads in Ireland

SuPp9XW.jpg

10. Upstairs I found a lot of old photo's, brochures from Manhattan, and newspapers dated from 2001.
tAfjuGV.jpg

11. The photo pictured right above, featuring two women in jackets had this written on the back. It made me feel particularly sad at how it was just discarded here.

PWfn9wf.jpg

12. Trains still pass in front of the complex every 30 minutes

4F1DhA7.jpg

13. Spent the next while walking around the large empty warehouses.

Xgb0Q0n.jpg

kr6pl2S.jpg

zDV0Xh1.jpg

9nAhdwh.jpg

17. None of this was accessible. The stairs up had been cut
V2MZQRT.jpg

OMO4Pim.jpg

811D5Fy.jpg

20. Next I checked out the office building.

2nksk5e.jpg

21. This place was full of customer records and bank statements. There was hundreds of folders everywhere, and floppy discs too. Good to know the company have their customers best interests in mind.

WbwAJ2j.jpg

vlIyps3.jpg

FiDZtGl.jpg

24. I wonder what this girl is doing today. Probably the same age as myself
ihZrjF3.jpg

25. Got a bit of a fright at the tanker truck driving in the front gate. ;)

ojdkzTh.jpg

zvuCvgh.jpg

28. Followed it around after it left. Fuel storage and filling area. There was active CCTV here, modern and working but I walked past it several times and nothing happened so I doubt it was being monitored live.

C6gnkLS.jpg

And that's it! Nothing overly interesting, but it was worth an explore.

Minisinead

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
amazing typical Ireland leave behind the important stuff ;)
Nice photos :D that boat is a bit creepy looking.