real time web analytics
Report - - Olives Paper Mill & Water Treatment Plant - Bury, Manchester - March 2023 - AS | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Olives Paper Mill & Water Treatment Plant - Bury, Manchester - March 2023 - AS

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

smithy_photographys

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
2nd Post for me. This one I have also know about as a kid we used to play in wood by the water treatment plant.

Olives Paper Mill

Olives Paper Mill was an extensive paper mill established between 1844 and 1893, with previous usage prior to this as a bleach works.
The site was situated at the base of a U-shaped valley with the Kirklees Brook running adjacent. Extensive tipping of site derived ash and clinker had occurred during the life of the site and had been partially profiled to create an access road.
The results of this type of filling and profiling were very steep slopes which required risk assessment and careful designing of foundations. Several former reservoirs had been backfilled within the proposed development area.

Back in 2005 Coopers were commissioned to undertake a pre-demolition survey and further ground investigation for Olives Paper Mill and the surrounding grounds.

In 2007 The first floor of a two-storey building at the former Olive's paper mill became engulfed in flames which led to speeding up of the demolition of the site leading to the housing estate that sits in its place.

Now this crain building is the only standing feature of what once sat on this site. This is Off site from the housing estate.

Water Treatment Plant.

Further down the brook there is what I can only guess is an old water treatment plant.

I cannot find anything regarding this or any history behind this.

So any information would be much appreciated.

DSC09773.jpg

DSC09772.jpg

DSC09702.jpg

DSC09705.jpg

DSC09709.jpg

DSC09700.jpg

DSC09701.jpg

DSC09711.jpg

DSC09717.jpg

DSC09721.jpg

DSC09728.jpg

DSC09730.jpg

DSC09737.jpg

DSC09745.jpg

DSC09747.jpg

DSC09749.jpg

DSC09751.jpg

DSC09752.jpg

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Those are some really crisp photographs! What did you take them on if you don't mind me asking?

MrDevla

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I spent most of my younger days playing around Olives. On the Kirklees trail just above where you’ve taken these photos used to be a fantastic original sign for Olives Paper Mill. I’m not sure if its still there.

smithy_photographys

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I spent most of my younger days playing around Olives. On the Kirklees trail just above where you’ve taken these photos used to be a fantastic original sign for Olives Paper Mill. I’m not sure if its still there.
Loving that I'm sure a lot of us played around there as kids. And nope unfortunately they took the sign down

CameronB

28DL Member
28DL Member