Web
Analytics
Report - - Olympia Cinema, Glasgow July 2009 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Olympia Cinema, Glasgow July 2009



Rookinella

I should have danced all night
28DL Full Member
#1
Visited with the Forfar Five.

Located at Bridgeton Cross, an east end district of Glasgow. The Olympia Theatre of Varieties was typical of the Edwardian Baroque style variety theatres which were being built at the time. It opened on 18th September 1911 and had a seating capacity of 2,000 in stalls and dress circle. The Baroque style exterior in red sandstone, with its corner entrance and elaborate dome was designed by architect George Arthur & Son. The interior with its lavish plaster scrollwork was designed by noted theatre designer Frank Matcham & Company. It was equipped to show films from its opening.

In 1924 it was taken over by Scottish Cinema and Variety Theatres, later to become Associated British Cinemas(ABC), who would operate it for the remainder of its cinematic life. The variety acts were dropped and the Olympia became a full time cinema.

In 1938 its interior was considered 'old fashioned' for a modern cinema and it was gutted to have a new Art Deco style interior designed by Charles J. McNair and Henry F. Elder. There were troughs containing concealed lighting and desorative grilles on the splay walls beside the proscenium. The seating capacity was reduced to 1,689 and it re-opened on 21st November 1938.

The Olympia Cinema was re-named ABC in 1963 and was closed on 9th March 1974. The building stood empty and unused for over ten years and was converted into a bingo club from 1987. After County bingo operators closed it down it became a furniture store, but they moved out in 2000 and the building has remained empty ever since.

A tragic fire occured in the front stalls of the building on 30th November 2004, when a man, who was sleeping rough in the building, was badly injured, and died of smoke inhilation after a few days in hospital. Damage to the building was contained mainly to the front left hand side of the auditorium. A year earlier, Glasgow City Council had approved plans to demolish the auditorium and build flats on the site, retaining the facade.

On 23rd March 1977, Historic Scotland designated the facade of the Olympia a Grade B Listed building.

_DSC1022R.jpg


_DSC1017R.jpg


_DSC1018R.jpg


_DSC1019R.jpg


_DSC1010R.jpg


_DSC1011R.jpg


_DSC1013R.jpg


_DSC1015R.jpg


_DSC1005R.gif


_DSC1006R.jpg


_DSC1007R-1.gif


_DSC1008R-2.gif


_DSC1009R.jpg


_DSC1023R.jpg


_DSC1024R.jpg


 
Last edited:

Similar threads