real time web analytics
Question - - On the hunt for a torch | Kit / Clothing / Equipment | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - On the hunt for a torch

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I recently lost a P7 (looked pretty sinking in some lovely clear blue water in a Welsh mine - too mesmerised to even think to video it!). Back up was a similar sized and power one I'd picked up in a large supermarket (name begins with a T) for a tenner a couple of years ago. The cheap one does the job. Build quality almost as good as the ledlenser. Light output whiter but with occasional flicker. Has all the funky modes. Not sure what the claimed output is but it seems ok and has always lasted well enough on a set of batteries.
I'll probably buy a M7R to complement my X21R2 as we have to have our gadgets..............................a couple more of the ten quid jobs might come first though as it never upsets me as much when I lose those when camping.

I'm told by a couple of looomen junkies that Aldi often have fairly decent torches in their 'specials'

I reckon for the money you cant go wrong with a Chinese ultrafire cree off Ebay, I bought 3 of them at £7 each and three decent 18650 batteries for £21, perhaps I have just been lucky but I have used them for about 4 years with no problems.
You should try writing to Lenser about losing your torch, because I was with Lenston a few months back when he dropped his new Lenser into a deep pool in a Welsh mine and when he had stopped sobbing he decided to drop them a line and Lenser sent him a brand new one FOC, just tell them that the lanyard clip broke like Lenstons did and hope for the best.

tigger

mog
Regular User
....You should try writing to Lenser about losing your torch, because I was with Lenston a few months back when he dropped his new Lenser into a deep pool in a Welsh mine and when he had stopped sobbing he decided to drop them a line and Lenser sent him a brand new one FOC, just tell them that the lanyard clip broke like Lenstons did and hope for the best.

Rhiwbach?
Good idea about contacting them. In the old days of maglites a friend did something similar and though he didn't get a freebie he did get a very good discount on a replacement. Proves that not all big companies are evil!

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Rhiwbach?
Good idea about contacting them. In the old days of maglites a friend did something similar and though he didn't get a freebie he did get a very good discount on a replacement. Proves that not all big companies are evil!
Yes Rhiwbach :) funnily enough I have been talking to a bloke from a cave diving club who are diving Rhiwbach in August and has said that they will try to recover the lenser, (air permitting after their main dive) and if they get it back Lenston can buy it back off me :D

acts of kindness like Lensers to Lenston kinda make you want to buy a lenser.

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Mate if you wanna stay with the p7 and go one better than the p7.2 get the P7R...boasts 1000 lumens on boost

tigger

mog
Regular User
Mate if you wanna stay with the p7 and go one better than the p7.2 get the P7R...boasts 1000 lumens on boost

Stop that...don't need to know about any other models! (and the X21R2 does oodles of candles when the need arises)

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Stop that...don't need to know about any other models! (and the X21R2 does oodles of candles when the need arises)

Does the X21R2 have a focusable beam to give you more control over lighting your shots ..im thinking thats a good torch to throw some flood on an area but for lighting shots needing a bit of effort its going to burn and foul your shots up

tigger

mog
Regular User
It is focusable and pretty cool if you want to lightpaint the opposite cliffs in a bay (not so good in a room as it burns the gloss paint off the skirting boards). In a smaller area it just turns it to daylight.
Up at Brimham Rocks having some fun one night and one of the lads had trouble with his head torch - I lit him up with the big lenser from about 150 feet away and the light bouncing upwards off the rock made it look like he had a searchlight shining down on him...odd effect that I only noticed as I had the remote for my camera in my hand and accidentally took a shot (camera was set up ready for some orbs).

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
For the amount of money they want for that beast i think ill stick with the p7 and p7.2 and the couple of cheap non genuine lumen efforts..that's a lot of cash for a torch..as much as i would accept one if given to me ,buying one just isn't ever going to happen :eek:

tigger

mog
Regular User
I'd not recommend it unless you had a particular need for that kind of power. It's suited to SAR in pitch black, in water etc. (and potentially light painting in some circumstances...have gadget must play!) but of limited use on a daily basis.
For 'daily' use the x7 types are the goto ones.

Andrejuan

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
M7s are good but the price for lumens is battery life (3.5h on full tilt). I prefer less light for longer myself.
I did order one off Amazon but by mistake had it delivered to my nephew, he likes it so much
he won't give it to me :(

DubbedNavigator

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Went with a p3 in the end, purely for the price difference. Did the job, and cost me about 15 quid. Download cost me enough as it was, decent torch but I'm not sure it would do the deal in Middleton.