real time web analytics
Report - - Otterburn ROC post 21.6.15 | ROC Posts | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Otterburn ROC post 21.6.15

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Liarco2001

Teaching the boy to explore
28DL Full Member
A quick visit to the location of otterburn post grabbed a picture to compare against the subbrit picture taken 17 years ago. I may have been a few yards too far forward but the post has definitely been demolished or at least everything above the surface has gone
DSC_0796.JPG

Attachments

• 988178004_Pic1_otterburn1.jpg
    988178004_Pic1_otterburn1.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 157

UrBaN2k14

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It'd be interesting to dig up a post where the surface structures have been demolished for a long time to see what remains underground. Just like at Prudhoe ROC Post, which as far as i'm aware was demolished soon after it was closed in '92.

I can't find any pictures or any other information on it even after contacting the local library and the Northumberland Archives and I've thought about finding who the owner is and contacting them about trying to dig it up to see what's left after all this time, but just never got around to doing it

Liarco2001

28DL Full Member
There is one in Lancashire not far from where my son lives that has been "demolished" I took him to the sight one day and compared old photos to the current lie of the land and decided the height of the ground hasn't changed. The surface dirt is loose so I got a stick and dug through about 6 inches and hit concrete. Don't know if it's solid, broken or even just part of a paving slab but we are going to return one winter evening with a couple of spades and investigate further lol

UrBaN2k14

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
6 inches seems to be a little shallow to be the roof of the main operating room, but I'm not really sure how deep the roof is in relation to the surface, it could be capping from when they removed the top of the shaft

Liarco2001

28DL Full Member
That's what I'd thought to be fair. I had positioned myself as well as I could off the photos I had to be in the line of the hatch and had a root about. Time will tell tho...

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
Have a look at this thread. It shows an exposed ROC post. The top is about 9 courses of bricks below ground, so yes, you probably found the capping not the roof.

You need to put a date of your visit in the title btw....and in your other posts too :thumb