real time web analytics
Ouvrage Meroux - Belfort, France June 2019 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Ouvrage Meroux - Belfort, France June 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

freshwateriow

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This small fort was built just before WW1, it is made of concrete and has a dry moat which is defended by two counterscarps built into the face of the moat. It had two MG turrets and a 75mm gun turret. Not normally open so we thought we were in luck when we saw a car and we found the door open. No such luck we were told that it was closed to the public except for heritage days (for info 21 & 22 Sept 2019). We took a walk around the moat and scaled the bank to the top of the fort but it was all locked up.

1561280711476.png

Rear of the fort
20190616_140933.jpg

Single Counterscarp covering the dry moat, has a water filled ditch and a rickety bridge and all locked up
20190616_141357.jpg

On top ,of the fort, Machine gun block and turret (missing) on right.
20190616_141927.jpg

Soldiers entrance to the ramparts and shelter with steps going down, all locked up
20190616_142011.jpg

Another Soldiers entrance to the ramparts and shelter with steps going down, all locked up
20190616_142033.jpg
20190616_142037.jpg

Soldiers entrance to the ramparts and shelter with 75mm gun turret (missing), all locked up
20190616_142049.jpg

Double Counterscarp in the moat, all locked up. part of an archery range that was in use, so did not venture further.
20190616_142603.jpg
20190616_142608.jpg

freshwateriow

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
There are loads of others in Belfort, I am planning to try Fort Roppe and Fort Monceau. We also visited Fort Bessoncourt which was open, I have put some photos on here. I did some small Maginot Line bunkers yesterday I will put the photos up.

freshwateriow

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Maybe trying another visit on the Heritage Weekend in France on 21st and 22nd September.

Last edited:

freshwateriow

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great pics,real shame about not getting in:( any plans on a return visit?
Thanks for the reply, we went back a couple of weeks ago to Belfort, we did permission visit to Fort Basses Perches to get an idea of the layout of these forts, the volunteer who showed us around was informative and explained the reasons these forts are here and how they were built. We then went to Fort Hautes Perches about 800m away this one is still owned by the French Military and used for training, as easy walk in but fantastic explore with tunnels gun positions and a general air of dereliction. We then headed to the North of Belfort to Fort Monceau, this had been on my list for a while. It is similar to Fort Mereaux but smaller. The fort is protected by a dry moat of between 5 & 8 m deep with vertical sides. We managed to find a way in as part of the water filled moat has been filled in saving a rope entry. I have posted the visits with photos on the European Forum. There are still another 18 to do with Fort Roppe and Fort Chevremont top of the list. Great exploring in this area and not seen any other reports.

freshwateriow

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
nice, thanks,
gives me ideas where to stroll around on my next visit to Vosges
The people at Ouvrage Mereaux would not let us in so we went on the top of the fort via the moat. We could not get inside, I would recommend some of the others Bessoncourt and Basse Perches are looked after by the commune and will gladly show you around, the guide at Basses perches spoke perfect English. For a good explore we also went to Hautes Perches and Monceau, we have a few more planned. If you are over at a weekend I could maybe give you some ideas. Cheers