Web
Analytics
Report - - Overstone Hall, April 2010 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Overstone Hall, April 2010

Treadstone

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Doing a bit of clearing up of my PC and looking for something else (of which more in a moment) I realized I hadn't posted anything about my visit to Overstone with Fazy_uk and DieHardLove a few months back.

The place is a wreck following a fire while owned by religious organization , before that it was a girls school - which went bust and before that, a country house and not very successful at that. I stumbled on a post about the place
... built in 1862 for the banker Samuel Loyd, who became Lord Overstone for services to finance. His wife was keen to have a property commensurate with their status [her husband] inexplicably picked the unknown architect William Milford Teulon
His verdict was priceless.... quoting the same piece he said
“The New House I regret to say, is the cause of unmitigated disappointment and vexation. It is an utter failure – We have fallen into the hands of an architect in whom incapacity is his smallest fault. The House tho’ very large and full of pretension – has neither taste, comfort nor convenience. I am utterly ashamed of it … the principal rooms are literally uninhabitable – I shall never fit them up … I grieve to think that I shall hand such an abortion to my successors.â€

Then to cap it all, Loyd’s wife died before the project was finished so he went to live with his daughter. The place is quite moochable , and according to that post , still up for sale - though only for people who want to be on grand designs.

A few photos....

The front door
Img43595-small.jpg

Open, but not open for business...
Img43596Small.jpg

Nice fireplaces , shame about the floors.
Img43609Small.jpg

some idea of the scale of the damage
IMG43589-92Small.jpg

My partners in ... well trespass isn't a crime,
Img43613Small.jpg