Web
Analytics
Report - - Overstone Hall - Northants - April 2014 | Residential Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Overstone Hall - Northants - April 2014



Sabre

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
#1
The history -

Grade II listed building on the outskirts of Northampton. It had 119 rooms and surrounded by a 40 acre grounds which contain three lakes, the old carriage block, walled garden and farm buildings.
Designed in 1860 for Lord and Lady Overstone by William Milford Teulon, the building work took until 1866 to complete. Lady Overstone passed away on Nov 6th 1864 so did not see her project finished. This house demonstrates the earliest known example of 'cavity wall insulation', being built double throughout. There was a central heating system 'Mr Price's Apparatus', gas lighting and a service or butler's lift.
Originally Overstone Hall, the estate was acquired in 1832 by Lewis Loyd for the princely sum of £117,000. On his death in 1858 it passed to his son, Samuel Jones Loyd, by then Lord Overstone.
Lady Overstone persuaded her husband that a much grander country seat was more in keeping with their status and the new Overstone House was built. It was designed by William Milford Teulon and according to The Builder of 1862, was "a mixture of Elizabethan and Renaissance features". In any case, Lord Overstone, noted for his artistic taste, hated the House and refused to live in it after it was built, preferring to stay with his daughter at Lockinge in Berkshire.
Harriet Sarah Loyd, who later became Lady Wantage, inherited the estate in 1883. She and her husband used regularly to stay there during the winter hunting season until his death in 1901. It was then leased successively to a Field Marshall, Lord Grenville, and to the Australian shipping magnate Malcolm McEacharn and his wife. The latter regularly entertained in lavish style, the only ones really to have used it in the manner for which it was designed. McEacharn died in 1917.
On the death of Lady Wantage, the farms and many of the tenanted cottages were sold to the farmers and occupants, but the Mansion plus 70 acres went for £9000 to Sir Philip Stott. He donated the use of the House and grounds to the Conservative and Unionist Party for use as a college in 1923. He condemned the scheme in 1928 as 'an abject failure' and sold the property to the Charlotte Masons Schools Company in July 1929 for conversion to a girls' Public School under the auspices of Henrietta Franklin. The School occupied the Main House, Carriage block and stables and farm buildings for fifty years until July 1979 when the financial imperatives of maintaining a crumbling Victorian estate became too much. The estate was sold as a single lot by tender to speculators for £701.000, who later sold the House and 70 acres to the New Testament Church of God for £100 000 in 1980.
On April 16th 2001, a fire was started in one of the upper rooms, probably the dormitory best known to old girls as 'Gallery', situated at the top of a fire escape on the eastern side of the building. Approximately 60% of the building was gutted within 12 hours, destroying all of the best-loved features of the House, including its truly extraordinary, breathtaking wooden staircase and magnificent library, along with the elegant parquet flooring which graced the public rooms and corridors.


Borrowed from 'Will Knot' :)

The Explore -

Nice and relaxed. Nobody bothered us. Weather was good. The place is nice but shagged. What else can I say?

Myself and two non - members.

On with the pictures -
14512653064_e8da0616f1_c.jpg


14500078915_d69ed09d9f_c.jpg


14514136845_d9b2682d08_c.jpg


14534283333_6d19d28c8d_c.jpg


14520167403_bc2e33ffa5_c.jpg


14514213175_d9788211e2_c.jpg


Love is in the air . . . :D
14514475145_ce07c1d3ab_c.jpg


Cheers people :thumb
 

unplugged

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
#4
Those are Doves but theirs plenty of both in there from memory.

To be fair the bit that's occupied is still owned by the Church so you don't generally get "bothered" ive merrily walked around the grounds several time taking photos of the exterior sometimes someone watches. Might have to pay this place another visit it looks like a few more areas have appeared since my last visit.
 

Similar threads