real time web analytics
Report - - Oxendon Tunnel - March 2017 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Oxendon Tunnel - March 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Urban_Tomb_Raider

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I was meaning to finish off the last few posts I did and slot this one in but oops. This was close to the other explores I did on the day, so it was kind of a what the heck, we're in the area kind of moment. And my photography isnt awful saturated shit to make up for the last set of tunnel crap I posted. Although granted shooting in pitch black and having patience for it wasn't my ideal cuppa at the time. Nice easy explore.

The Tunnel
"Oxendon tunnel was designed and built by George Stephenson and was opened in 1859. It was built as a single track line to connect Northampton and Market Harborough and was used to transport the huge amounts of ironstone that were found in Northamptonshire in the mid nineteenth century.
Great Oxendon tunnel is situated just outside Great Oxendon on what is known as the "Brampton Valley Way" which is part of the National Cycle Network.
The tunnel is 418 metres long which is equvilant to 1/4 of a mile. Once inside the light from the other end tends to blind you & makes it nearly impossible to see anything until tour eyes adjust, approximately half way through there is a vertical air ventilation shaft which casts a circle of light on to the tunnel floor."

Before that we found a small cute lil' stream which ended up leading into a nice...erm..culvert?? Photos explain it all.
hwfpd0.jpg

t8kl81.jpg

2nibgvo.jpg

Oxendon.. it pays to be slim
2zs795j.jpg

2rras1s.jpg

3179ms3.jpg

huolj6.jpg

That sight really unhinged the shit out of me first time my flash light hit the back of it. I honestly thought some people had a car up in here and were dogging or some shit. Gah.
ivli4p.jpg

Turns out it was far from dogging. This little guy was cute.
j17iub.jpg

30j1emv.jpg

35am6c7.jpg
i6wc1s.jpg

dribble dribble
24ex8vr.jpg

2unxehi.jpg

35hqr8y.jpg

2me7tkz.jpg

2ltls2s.jpg
epnpxg.jpg

jto4rb.jpg

:sleep:thumb

lincstunnelexplorer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice pics. I think i mustve been there roughly the same time as you, even squeezing into the tunnel the same way! I have no idea what the patches of brown sludge are but i cant get it off my boots! I'll have to upload my pics at somepoint as we managed to access all 4 tunnels that day.

lincstunnelexplorer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Is clean... if you avoid those puddles of whatever the hell it is! only had a weedy little torch which is why i ended up standing in it!

Urban_Tomb_Raider

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice pics. I think i mustve been there roughly the same time as you, even squeezing into the tunnel the same way! I have no idea what the patches of brown sludge are but i cant get it off my boots! I'll have to upload my pics at somepoint as we managed to access all 4 tunnels that day.
That's why I always stick to wellies, that sludge is nasty