real time web analytics
Report - - Paddington borough control - London - 17/06/18 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Paddington borough control - London - 17/06/18

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Tocsin35

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
My visit
Unlike many of the control bunkers of this era I cant find much at all in terms of history although bunkers of a similar design seem to have been built around the early to mid 50's. Upon arriving at Paddington green at which the bunker was situated I found it to be extremely overgrown and covered in ivy in comparison to the state it was in when subbrit visited in December 2001 although the structure itself its still in good condition and doesn't appear to have changed. Also upon arriving I was greeted by a mass of rats living around the bunker and a hoard of nearby people filming something pretty professional looking. When subbrit first inspected the bunker it was locked however I saw a post from I believe 2015 on this site showing that someone had gained access although now the door to the bunker has been welded shut. All in all its not in bad shape and is worth a visit if your nearby although not worth travelling any distance for.

The bunker itself consists of a door leading into wedge style concrete access shaft and judging by subbrits pictures there was a vent of sorts on the roof. 18 meters away are 2 vents which would have served the bunker. subbrit states that these were situated in a flower bed now the area around then is an overgrown mess surrounded by hoards of rats. I also noticed a weird looking grate in the ground which may have something to do with the bunker.
paddington.jpg

photo by Nick Catford - source http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/sites/p/paddington_control/index.html
This image shows the bunker in a similar condition to what it is now although a lot less overgrown with ivy and the roof mountings or vent visible

IMG_0009.JPG

the welded door to the wedge style concrete access shaft
IMG_0014.JPG

the surrounding area is now very overgrown with bushes and ivy
IMG_0019.JPG

A further out shot for perspective
IMG_0018.JPG

luckily parts of the surface features do remain nicely visible and exposed

IMG_0020.JPG

The door has been welded at several points to the door frame
IMG_0021.JPG

There were two key holes in the door presumably due to the nature of the structure for added security
IMG_0027.JPG

Looking up the access shaft
IMG_0030.JPG

One of the 2 very overgrown vents
IMG_0029.JPG

The second vent smelled like pee and had cloths and rubbish scattered around it so im guessing this is someone's home
IMG_0037.JPG

it may be nothing but this grate is in the space between the bunker and the vents so may have served some purpose although I have no clue