real time web analytics
Report - - Palladium Cinema, Midsomer Norton - April 2015 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Palladium Cinema, Midsomer Norton - April 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

WhoDaresWins

Let's do this
Regular User
Visited with @END-PROC, @Seffy, @Oort & @Bertie Bollockbrains.

I've known about this cinema for a few months now because I seen a news report about Wetherspoons buying the property. This was a plan b incase we had issues accessing a nearby site on the same day. We had success there and thought to take a closer look at this place. After a good mooch around we were in. The former decor still exists as does the projector room. The cinema was a small and only had one screen. Mostly stripped but certainly some nice touches still inside.

History:
Midsomer Norton's Palladium was one of the country's oldest cinemas, having first opened its doors as the Empire in 1913.

he building has been a landmark in the town since it was first opened as a cinema by Sidney Milles 96 years ago, when punters were treated to a full-sized stage, new scenery, electric lighting and heating in an age when people enjoyed live stage acts as well as films.

The next owner changed the name to the Palladium Electric in 1915, and stage acts included Tiny Tim, who at 43in tall was the world's smallest comedian.

The last owners, Mrs Steel and her husband Ken, were first associated with the building in 1944 when Mr Steel was a rewind boy on the projectors.

When the Steels closed the doors in 1993 the double back row seats became collectors' items, with former courting couples putting in bids for them.

A final goodbye was said to the cinema with a showing of Cinema Paradiso, an Italian film about a small town's love affair with a cinema, which finally shut because of the economy, video and television.

Before it became a centre for entertainment the building was a brewery. In 1892 the building was owned by the Welton Old Brewery Company. The neighbouring Savoy Rooms were the brewery and the cinema buildings held the vats.

After its closure in 1993 the Palladium was bought by Moonjuice nightclub owner Martin Sawyer, who died in a car crash in 2004.

In 2008 Bath and North East Somerset Council gave planning permission for the change of use of the Palladium to a club and shops.

In January 2015 J D Wetherspoons acquired the site. However, roosting bats have been discovered and has delayed building work.

IMG_1147.jpg

DSC_5313.jpg

DSC_5308.jpg

DSC_5315.jpg

DSC_5289.jpg

DSC_5304.jpg

DSC_5307.jpg

DSC_5298.jpg

DSC_5301.jpg

DSC_5295.jpg

DSC_5319.jpg

Thanks for looking.​

TallRich

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Some great shots there mate, love the contrast and lighting in #2 especially!

Keep up the good work!

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Gotta agree with Tallrich, those dark shots are fantastic! Possibly the smallest explore I've been on but it does have a certain charm.

Really enjoyed the day and looking forward to meeting up with you guys again!

Helens411

28DL Member
28DL Member
I remember going here regularly as a child. In fact, I was at the last showing before it closed. It was 'Cinema Paradiso' (I think). Over the years, I have watched it become derelict, and for a long time I've wanted to get in, and see what it's like now. Thank you for doing it for me! I have Cerebral Palsy, can't walk unaided so would never be able to 'urbex', myself. I wanted to see it before it gets pulled about, and it's quite sad to see the state it's in, - but fascinating, too! Thanks.

Helen

GRONK

Useful Idiot
Regular User
Nice report mate, those walls must have looked fantastic when it was in use.