real time web analytics
Report - - Palladium Cinema, Oswaldtwistle - Jan 20 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Palladium Cinema, Oswaldtwistle - Jan 20

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

UrbandonedTeam

the north
Regular User
In the midst of revising for these constant A-level mock exams, I've found a little bit of time to enter the backlog and post this one that we visited on the first free weekend of the year.

Palladium Cinema

49472417476_d590269142_m.jpg

It opened prior to 1934 when it was sold by Regent Cinemas to ABC, who kept it only until 1940 before selling it on to an independent. It is a free standing building constructed of brick with a tiled roof. In 1943 it had an 18 foot proscenium arch and 1,027 seats. The cinema closed around 1968 in favour of bingo, but there are reports that it reopened for Asian films. However by 2000 it had closed and is now in a poor state, though there are persistent rumours of reopening as a dual cinema / theatre. When last seen, there were holes in the roof and urgent remedial work was needed if the building were to be saved. It has survived at least two fires, one in 1944 when repairs were quickly made and the cinema reopened on 22 December 1944, and lately in February 2004 when arsonists set fire to some of the seats piled up in the derelict building. - Cinema Treasures

As it stands today:

49472408061_dd22cf1eef_b.jpg

One of the best features is the old title, fading above the entrance.

49472407821_fb6e02c699_b.jpg

Having had this pinned for a year or so, we were looking at other stuff in the area so we ended up outside the ruined structure. I don't think it's been reported as of yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone has been, and just decided not to post their shots! Don't be expecting any ornate details; the building is stripped of everything and one that an Instagram photographer would find difficult to get a high liked money shot. Still, it shared similar architecture to the Regal Cinema not too far away in Bacup, so we didn't mind looking through, finding some old bingo cards, lottery tickets and other memorabilia on the floor.

Under the balcony

49471922233_07f307470c_b.jpg

The 'sundial' was one of the only features left, but looked moments away from falling down. It's surprising that vandals haven't been inside, with the various hanging lightbulbs totally untainted, rather than smashed.

49472410366_fa8743bdd7_b.jpg

Urinals - you can see the signs of the 2004 fire.

49472632472_cfb6980bb6_b.jpg
[/url]

Upstairs, through the doorway you can just about see the ladder that would take you to the projector room.

49471921428_ae71741fa1_b.jpg

Looking towards the screen from the balcony. The red is probably the best preserved colour remaining.

49472631907_f373c3ffc6_b.jpg

Projector room

49471920743_ef6c9f5e0f_b.jpg

Some extra details to finish. Note the scraped off 'No smoking' sign in order to replace it.

49472408601_77f759dcb5_b.jpg

49472408301_6acc173c69_b.jpg

Thanks for reading :)

scrappy

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I rather like the shots you have got. Never been in this one myself, the local traveling folk always clocked me checking this out.

UrbandonedTeam

the north
Regular User
I rather like the shots you have got. Never been in this one myself, the local traveling folk always clocked me checking this out.
Our original plan was to retry the courthouse nearby, which helped because we were here very early after it didn't work out. Still, the early dog walkers were giving us some bad looks, especially as the access is very bait.

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
Fair play, me and @dweeb have had a few looks at this one before, probably a fair while ago now but there was never an easy way in without arousing too much suspicion from the 'locals'.

You could tell there wasnt much left in there but good to see a decent report to prove it!

jtza

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Definitely a fun one despite the fact it was so far gone. Bait almost doesn’t describe the access and exit haha.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Good to see inside a building that looks so sealed. Nice shots and well done on getting in. Braven in & out is sometimes necessary ;) if you can.

tobeycat

28DL Member
28DL Member
The pub is now empty next to it as well, bet both end up being demolished, used for car parking.

tweek

SNC/SWC
Regular User
Just here to echo what others have said... was always just the onlookers and the inevitable sense of how shagged it was gonna be inside that kept this one on the list for so long.

So for actually bothering, fair play.

TwBFC

28DL Member
28DL Member
Seen this so many times as live about 10mins away. Allways thought it must have been a mess inside, this just proves it what a shame. Good report though thanks.

Who has read this thread (Total: 336) View details