real time web analytics
Report - - Paris GRS Network aka The Catacombs - Sept 2015 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Paris GRS Network aka The Catacombs - Sept 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
OK... the name. Technically this is the Le Grand Réseau Sud or Great Southern Network. Most people call it the catacombs. That said, there's only a very small percentage of the network where you will find bones.

To summarise what exactly the tunnels are... The GRS is many smaller quarries, backfilled and strengthened, then amalgamated leaving 'general inspection galleries' for the inspectors. Why inspectors? Because as Paris grew, they built over the generally unmapped and unknown quarries, and building collapses occurred. The "Inspection générale des carrières", or IGC, was created to locate, stabilise and monitor the quarries, which they still do to this day.

Explored with @Dmax , @Speed , @Idavoll and Olivia.

Started off as a complete nightmare. First we were late for the Eurostar and got bumped onto a later train. Then all trains were delayed 'for security checks', then there was a power cut, then, after actually getting to the loading door of the train, it was full, so we had to wait for the next train. the repercussions of this meant an uncomfortable nights sleep in the car, which never really happened, and 12 hours later than planned going underground.

After reaching Paris in the middle of the night, we parked the car and did our own thing, some slept, me and Dmax went to check the exit, and we reconvened in the morning to buy breakfast and supplies.

Then we were in.

Dmax waiting for the others...

IMG_2413.resized.jpg

Speed sorting his carbide lamp out....

IMG_2414.resized.jpg

IMG_2416.resized.jpg

First through the water, nice and clear...

IMG_2422.resized.jpg

and behind, not so clear...

IMG_2424.resized.jpg

On our way North...

IMG_2427.resized.jpg

Dmax and Speed in Le Plage...

IMG_2428.resized.jpg

So we were actually heading to Carrefour des Morts, or Crossroads of the Dead. This is where the main bones are. But there's some other things to find there, including the bones shaft, and bone throne...

IMG_2446.resized.jpg

After this we grabbed some food and sleep, then headed off to our rendezvouz with some French friends...

IMG_2447.resized.jpg

That's the only picture I have. Much alcohol was drunk, good times were had.

I don't remember taking this, but it's on the way back to where we were sleeping.

IMG_2451.resized.jpg

In the 'morning' which was actually mid afternoon, I had a banging headache and we headed South to Montsouris. KCP and BDM etc.

That was pretty much it except for one last night. There was three of us now, and we slept fairly close to the exit. We had to navigate 'Banga' to get there...

IMG_2453.resized.jpg

IMG_2456.resized.jpg

and then rest...

IMG_2466a.resized.jpg

Then out and home.

Top weekend, thanks to all involved.

Camera Shy

Old enough to know better
Regular User
Looks like a great time, always fancied this just for the experience, maybe one day.

drhowser

Bespectacled & irrelevant
Regular User
I'm due a return here, didn't even look at a manhole this time when I was there.

Dmax

Don't eat my biscuit !
28DL Full Member
Once again what a crazy weekend under Paris with some crazy friends :)
Loved it !

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Amazing, like the sound of the bone throne and crossroads of the dead, great report.