real time web analytics
Report - - Parkhill Pumping Station, Aberdeen 20.05.08 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Parkhill Pumping Station, Aberdeen 20.05.08

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Gorecki

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I visited here at the begining of the year but did not go into the building... unaware what it was.
I thought it was some kind of water pumping station, I think it was Defqon who mentioned that it was build to be disguised as a house ...

As it's just minutes from my work, thought I would take another look today.
Inside I found plenty of paperwork dating from the early 1970's suggesting it has been empty since then - laboratory results of Bacteriological examineration of water, thunderstorm observation reports and some great aprons which looked like something a serial killer would wear.

IMG_4662.jpg

IMG_4627.jpg

IMG_4650.jpg

IMG_4622.jpg

IMG_4616.jpg

IMG_4596.jpg

IMG_4576.jpg

IMG_4631.jpg

IMG_4565.jpg

IMG_4555.jpg

IMG_4633.jpg

IMG_4571.jpg

IMG_4548.jpg

IMG_4606.jpg

IMG_4615.jpg

Gorecki

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Re: Parkhill Pumping Station, Aberdeen 20.05.08 REPORT

Just found this old artice on the Press & Journal website ::

Plans that would preserve a century-old listed building on the outskirts of Aberdeen could have reached the end of the road - because of the city's Western Peripheral Route project.

The disused Parkhill pumping station, has been a landmark since the 1890s.

Owner John McIntosh, previously received planning and listed building permission to build homes at the works.

But the farmhouse-style building lies just 50 yards from the controversial Aberdeen bypass route, forcing his scheme to be put on hold.

Now Mr McIntosh, a farmer, has lodged an appeal against the line of the relief road being finalised so close to a listed ..

Phantom III

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I have travelled past this building daily for years and finally today decided to investigate.
An internet search revealed the following historical info :
Parkhill Pumping Station with Lade Aqueduct Tanks and Supervisor's House
Historic Scotland Building ID: 18957
The pumping station was built to pump spring water uphill to a reservoir.The machinery and an office/lab are housed in 2-storey building with attic rooms reminiscent of local farmhouse style, built against a terraced earth bank, with lade carried on an aqueduct adjoining at rear. Mass concrete construction with concrete water tanks sited at the front of the pumping house.
Two turbine pumps housed on the ground floor were formerly water-powered but later electric. Pumps, motors & pipework are still installed.
Access to the ground floor is easy via side steps but the first floor is near impossible unless you have a ladder. Access to the lade above is a little awkward but possible if you don't mind nettles, thistles and brambles. Watch out for rotting timbers and shaky handrails though.
It would be interesting to survey from the air but the proximity to Dyce airport makes this a no-no. The last photo is borrowed from an internet site.

PPS-01ed3b5.md.jpg
PPS-0235b32.md.jpg
PPS-03becae.md.jpg
PPS-04f6199.md.jpg
PPS-05de918.md.jpg
PPS-0605c45.md.jpg

Last edited:

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Cheers for posting :thumb It looks an interesting place for a visit, I fly out of Dyce fairly often so will no doubt call in there myself. Not a bad first attemp at a report either.

Instead of just tagging it onto an old report I think it would be better if you started a new report of your own. It would also be good instead of just links to the history of the site, select the interesting bits and open the report with that. Have a look at the structure of other folks reports, there is no set way tbh, but it's a lot better read if you don't have to open links to get the history. Photos are not bad either, you could possibly make them a bit bigger?

Hope that's of some help, you'll soon get the hang of it I'm sure and look forward to the next report.

Phantom III

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks Lone Ranger. I have edited the report as you suggested. The site limits picture size to 1024 pixels on the long side, which is what I have made these.
The adjoining house is occupied and the new tenant reports a fair bit of interest, but thought (erroneously) that it was something to do with the old railway line nearby.
Next report will hopefully be a location new to this website and therefore a new report.

Last edited: