real time web analytics
Report - - Parklands Campus, Oxford October 2018 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Parklands Campus, Oxford October 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
I'm sure everyone out there has local places that they like to keep half an eye on from time to time, places that have eluded you in the past but you keep checking 'just in case'.

This is one of those places. In a county that is extremely sparse for abandonments, finding out that this school had closed was music to my ears. The Parklands Campus began life as a 19th Century manor house, built on the same land as a much, much earlier 12th Century house demolished in the late 1700s. It later became Bessels Leigh School, a boys boarding school, and had various additions constructed in the 1960s. The school closed and the building was taken over by the charity Action For Children in 2009 who reopened it as the Spires Academy, rebranding as Parklands Campus in 2011. It then closed in 2016 and has been empty since.

I had gone past this place innumerable times over the years as it's on the route I take every other Sunday to go film the racing at Standlake Arena. I had noticed the lightbox out front was empty on one journey but didn't actually end up checking it out the first time until the beginning of this year. We turned up and immediately saw a very active and visible security team based in one of the former staff houses on the main drive, complete with a dog unit van and very loud barking dogs somewhere. We had a nose around the perimeter but sacked it off as neither of us fancied getting chased by pooches. After that day, every time I went past it I'd crane my neck to try and see through the trees if the dog unit van was still there and it always was. That was up until a couple of months back and suddenly I saw it had gone. Me being me I then swiftly forgot all about it as other things came up as they do, but at a loose end I thought why not go have another look. Sure enough walking up the perimeter the dog unit van had gone and all the staff houses doors were boarded up, result. We also noticed a new deterrent in a number of CCTV cameras perched in the trees complete with loudspeakers and what I presumed were PIRs or IR lights or something, but more on that later.

We got into the site the way I'd noticed on the initial scout around the outside and began taking some tentative steps towards the more modern buildings at the rear. No cameras on any of them, all good. However I had noticed on the route up that the manor house itself was positively swimming in cameras mounted on every corner and at strategic points around the perimeter. All of them were wired into somewhere and all of them looked fairly new. To my surprise we found one of the more modern buildings open although it only contained the laundry room and a couple of art classrooms. We snapped a couple of photos in there then thought in for a penny and all so decided to just be blatant and see what happened when we walked around the outside of the manor house. Nothing, not a squeak from any of the cameras or alarms or loudspeakers. When we found an easy way in we thought it was too good to be true, personally. In we went, and to my disappointment the whole building was gutted and looked to be having renovation work done on it. I thought to myself the best part will be the entrance hall so we made a beeline for that part. After setting up my camera I looked up and realised there was one of the same sets of cameras, alarms and loudspeakers pointed straight at me on the corner of the wall. Fuck I thought, oh well, the room was spectacular so even if it goes tits up now at least I've seen the best part.

But nothing happened.

I decided I wanted to see the room from the gallery running around the top so headed up the stairs and realised there was another camera setup looking straight at me up there. Just as I had taken the photo I wanted things went a bit Pete Tong. I heard a crackle and then suddenly a booming voice came over the loudspeaker and said "Will the two people taking photos please leave the site immediately. Security are on the way".

Fuck, I thought, well the luck had to run out at some point. The whole rest of the building looked gutted and uninteresting and we'd got the main prize so in an effort to appease them and avoid a possible encounter we wandered off and out the way we came. As I was taking an external shot the same voice came over again and told us in no uncertain terms to get a move on, so with a quick cheery wave after that we were gone.

I might go back for another poke around but I've no idea how long it'll remain like this. The cameras are definitely monitored to a degree however it's only the internal ones that seem to get picked up on by the security, and they are placed in the only really good part! It's been a while since I've walked into a room and had a 'holy shit' moment but walking into the entrance hall was one of them.

30199921837_6b3876a4a3_b.jpg

45088893952_d9c89bc332_b.jpg

30199923617_b17f793edf_b.jpg

45088893552_c78571eb04_b.jpg

30199923127_08749bba65_b.jpg

45088893122_ff3d1d86b7_b.jpg

30199922637_a2c337631a_b.jpg

45088892602_5bf8c6cf84_b.jpg

The camera on the upstairs balcony was the one that crackled into life....

30199922277_79ca7fc86f_b.jpg

45088892102_c9cbe7ba0e_b.jpg

Time to leave!

Thanks for looking as always :)

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Such a contrast to those last four pics, nicely done as always

Yes it was better than I ever could have thought, having never seen photos of it before. There aren't even any doors or door frames left in the rest of the manor house it's been that gutted.

I thought it might be alarmed but I never expected to come face to face with two of the camera/alarm/loudspeaker setups actually inside :eek:

Eunos96

Drifting through explores
28DL Full Member
Brilliant report! Ive yet to come into contact woth one of these loudspeaker systems! Bet if its unexpected it can be quite creepy!

Luke vaughan

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
All you were doing was taking pics like they can’t do anything about that and what’s the point sending security for people taking pics

Eunos96

Drifting through explores
28DL Full Member
Its more for the threat of vandalism and the fact that if you hurt yourself on the premises, not matter how small, you can sue the land owner.

If you were a land owner that would have to pay out for some UE injurying thereselves whilst trespassing on your land im sure youd want security too.

Its just one of those things unfortunately, Onky a small minority would have the cheek of doing that but it just takes one

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
All you were doing was taking pics like they can’t do anything about that and what’s the point sending security for people taking pics

Well they can do something about it when you're trespassing on or in their property. You don't have permission to be there so they are well within their rights to tell you to sod off and send out a security team to make sure you've left and the property is secure and nothing has gone missing or been damaged.

Luke vaughan

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ye
Well they can do something about it when you're trespassing on or in their property. You don't have permission to be there so they are well within their rights to tell you to sod off and send out a security team to make sure you've left and the property is secure and nothing has gone missing or been damaged.
i suppose so

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Well done for persevering with checking it out on a regular basis. Done that before and it always seems a little more satisfying when you finally crack it. I had an experience at Leeds once with one of those loudspeakers, must say i felt rather intimidated and made a quick exit, still thats the whole purpose of them i guess. Oh i nearly forgot cracking report.

Lost851

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Damn! You beat me to it!
Scouted this out last month but heard dogs and a man so I soon left. Covered a camera up for me to go back and check if security was actually keeping an eye on the place. Unfortunately I've been so busy with work in the evenings and weekends I haven't been back! Been waiting to get here for weeks now! Now you've been I'll have to go back and just jump straight in! Great report and I'm glad I searched for a report on this again.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Damn! You beat me to it!
Scouted this out last month but heard dogs and a man so I soon left. Covered a camera up for me to go back and check if security was actually keeping an eye on the place. Unfortunately I've been so busy with work in the evenings and weekends I haven't been back! Been waiting to get here for weeks now! Now you've been I'll have to go back and just jump straight in! Great report and I'm glad I searched for a report on this again.

It'd be interesting to see if they've sealed up the ways in we used.

There was a piece on the local news about it today with the plans for new housing and conversion of the Manor House into apartments expected to be passed today.

Who has read this thread (Total: 236) View details