real time web analytics
Report - - Parque Aquático do Almargem - unfinished waterpark Portugal | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Parque Aquático do Almargem - unfinished waterpark Portugal

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

xm657

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
So I took road trip round Portugal between lockdowns and found a crazy amount of abandoned buildings. This place is an unfinished water park. From what I've read it all seemed to be going well with construction until some financial irregularities were discovered causing construction to stop. Apparently 25 million euro had already been spent. It's a massive building, but in a really strange place, hundreds of miles away from the Algarve or anywhere I would think was popular for tourism. Who was going to visit this enormous water park in the middle of the countryside?

It still has an active website showing what it would have looked like finished. Dates seem a little contradictory but the project was launched in 2008 and construction seems to have been abandoned in maybe 2014. The owners still seem to think it's going to be finished one day, but it seems to be falling into disrepair. Surprisingly little or no vandalism, which I put down to its remote location rather than any on site security (of which I saw none).

On with the photos (note I'm no photographer, just like exploring, these are just taken on my phone in poor light - overcast, early evening).

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Totally abandoned project. I would be very surprised if this was ever finished. And why in the sticks, not exactly made for tourists. Nice report, good read & shots. It does look sorry for its self