real time web analytics
Report - - Paton's lace and twine mill, Johnstone | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Paton's lace and twine mill, Johnstone

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Visited with OT and Turkey.

The history of this plac has been covered pretty well so I'll leave that. This was one of the main catalists in organising a Scotland trip. When it closed Paton's was the oldest working industrial building in Britain, and boy does it show.

Amazingly, much of the mill's water power infastructure and equipment remains in situ. From the race itself, to huge wheels, still fitted with their belts. The mill's waterworks were converted in 1923 to generate electricity. I know this because I found the paperwork from the compamy that fitted it... £94.6.6 for the generator, fitting and set up!

After hearing thet the mill had ben cleared of paperowrk I was amazed to find plans of the millraces, letters from as far back as 1880, maps of the mill, shoelace sample booklets and all manner of photographs from the long life of the mill.I also found a long standing argument between Paton's and the council, who wanted to start pumping water from upstream, which would hav reduced Paton's generating!

The mill itself, which was a former cotton mill was facsinating in itself. I was blown away by finding proper bullseyes in the windows... I have never seen them before in my life. Looms, stock and machinery were everywhere. In one box I found the original brass plate from the front door... worn away by years of brasso and TLC.

I have been in nearly 100 derelict mills, and I would go as far to say this is one of the best... in fact it is in my top two for sure.

Bit gutted the machinists at work do not look like this :(
ss29of29.jpg

1906 paperwork
ss24of29.jpg

From a quote for the machine itself... £230 pounds 5 shillings
ss26of29.jpg

ss19of29.jpg

ss18of29.jpg

Love the play on words on this!
ss17of29.jpg

I drove for over 5 hours, to be confronted by a box from my home town! My great grandma worked in the mill the box is from it's completion in 1924. It was demolished, along with it's clock tower in the 1990's... the first building I was pissed off about it's demo
ss16of29.jpg

One of the Bullseyes. These are formed when the glassblower blows a bubble of glass, and shears it off his blowpipe.
ss15of29.jpg

Engine Hall
ss14of29.jpg

Rectifier... a real thing of beauty
ss13of29.jpg

ss12of29.jpg

ss11of29.jpg

ss10of29.jpg

ss9of29.jpg

ss8of29.jpg

ss7of29.jpg

ss6of29.jpg

ss5of29.jpg

ss4of29.jpg

ss3of29.jpg

ss2of29.jpg

ss1of29.jpg

ss1of1-2.jpg

turkey

Pure bellend
28DL Full Member
Theres already enough reports on this place without me putting another, so here's my two penneth from this trip.

Really enjoyed this place even if we were in there at stupid o clock.

Patons10.jpg

Patons11.jpg

Patons13.jpg

Patons14.jpg

Patons15.jpg

Patons2.jpg

Patons3.jpg

Patons4.jpg

Patons5.jpg

Patons6.jpg

Patons7.jpg

Patons8.jpg