real time web analytics
Report - - Paulsgrove Underground WW2 Radio Station, Portsmouth. April 2022 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Paulsgrove Underground WW2 Radio Station, Portsmouth. April 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

RXQueen

T-Rex Urbex
28DL Full Member
Visited with Ella.

We were Given this as a mooch and when we got there and saw the cliff face let’s just say we were a bit scared Lol. Wandering up and down the field looking up trying to find the entrance we spotted a possible one but it looked really high and not accessible from the ground.

we spotted a local walking his dog and he showed us the other opening that we had completely missed, it didn’t look as high so thought we would give it a try. Am not entirely sure how we got up there, a very hair raising experience but we made it. I believe they are both at the same height was just slightly easier terrain.

it’s a fairly short explore but nice to have managed it, hard to imagine it’s use during the war.

my poor car needed a good clean after, good job I carry old blankets to sit on.

History - from subbrit

Sited in large chalkpit behind Paulsgrove, on Portsmouth's Portsdown Hill, are some World War II underground workings. They are believed to be a radio facility for the nearby underground HQ at Fort Southwick. Inside, there are two main rooms on different levels, lined with steel sheeting and supporting girders, the standard style for the for military tunnels at the time. These are accessed via two unlined adits in the quarry face. No artifacts remain in the tunnels and they have obviously been visited by many people over the years, the entrances however, are now some 30ft up the face of the quarry as chalk continued to be quarried after the war.

Who has read this thread (Total: 233) View details