real time web analytics
Report - - Peal (Formally Turbull) factory, Hawick, Scotland, Nov 13 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Peal (Formally Turbull) factory, Hawick, Scotland, Nov 13

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

H1971

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Magpie had has his eye for this place for a long time. I wanted to revisit another site I have had my eye on (still not do able I'm afraid), nearby, so we decided to give this place ago. Although it is quite pigeon trashed there were some surprising finds :). I would of loved to of been able to get the the top of the tower but by the 3rd floor it was starting to get a tad dangerous :( Visited with Magpie and another member.
I struggled to find much history on this place.
History -
2-storey and attic, 8-bay, rectangular-plan office building with striking 5-stage Modern Movement water tower and single-storey sheds to NE and NW. Harled brick and red ashlar sandstone dressings. Ashlar base course, pronounced cornice to 1st floor, moulded eaves course. Regular fenestration with margined openings to all floors. Multi-pane top hopper windows, cast-iron rainwater goods. One of the more distinctive buildings related to the Hawick textile industry, the former Turnbull's office block has considerable architectural quality in terms of its detailing, and the contrast between the light render and red brick. The tower is a striking addition to the townscape and is designed in a proto-Modernist style, the earliest example of this style to appear in Hawick. It is believed to have held a water tank for sprinkler systems. Overall the office building dominates the surrounding streetscape, much of which has been redeveloped. As such the building forms important evidence of the dominance of the textile industry in the town, and the grandeur of many of the buildings associated with it. Alexander Inglis (1877-64) was the nephew of the Hawick joiner-architect John Inglis, to whom he was initially apprenticed. He was subsequently articled to James Pearson Alison, Hawick's most prominent architect, from August 1891 until 1896, and remained there as an assistant, studying under the South Kensington Schools and spending his holidays and spare time visiting the Borders abbeys; later travels took him to France and Spain. By 1900 he had become an extremely competent designer in the Lorimer mode and had his work illustrated in 'The Builder'. In January 1901 he moved to the office of Leadbetter & Fairley in Edinburgh, but he left at the end of the same year to return to Hawick following the death of his uncle and his inheritance of the joinery business, which he continued as both architect and contractor from the beginning of 1902. By 1911 he had established a Building Construction course in Hawick which had been taken over by the School Board there. Turnbull's was the largest dye works in the Borders. A reinforced concrete building was added in 1920 and demolished in 1990, along with the chimney which bore the letter T. (Historic Scotland)
Pics -
DPP_0201_zps39933767.jpg

DPP_0200_zps5c95735f.jpg

DPP_0199_zps948003c8.jpg

DPP_0196_zpsf9ed0113.jpg

DPP_0190_zps76340278.jpg

DPP_0187_zps0b48df97.jpg

DPP_0184_zps501d9947.jpg

DPP_0182_zps9cd3ab51.jpg

DPP_0181_zpsd8e0d6b0.jpg

DPP_0122_zps50b7a596.jpg

DPP_0180_zps6c0b63de.jpg