real time web analytics
Report - - Pear Mill Chim, Stockport June 2019 | High Stuff | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Pear Mill Chim, Stockport June 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Something I've always wanted to do but I just don't think I have the bottle!! Fair play to you mate!

I hope the little rotten pear gets some attention!

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member
Spot on dude. Them ladders look orrible! Yeah the chimney I put up was Houldsworth as mentioned by @host. I genuinely dont think i have the bollocks to do one. I drive past houdlsworth a few times a day and see the ladders tempting, yet shitting me up.

Baggy trousers

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
My son goes climbing in there regularly and I've often looked up at this chimney and thought it was doable but looking at those ladders fuck that! Haha. You are a hell of a braver man than me, very well done for having the balls to do it!

tallginge

more tall than ginger tho.....
Regular User
Thanks for kind comments all.

Errr, yeah, you would have beaten me in a race to the top for certain! My brave-o-meter wouldn't have even registered.

Haha, not by much mate I bet. I was definitely taking my time, thinking light thoughts and trying not to overgrip

Good to see it getting done again and you finally got a break in the weather, after countless trips to the area

Lol yeah once to see it, once with you in the pouring rain, once early one morning (still under-prepared) and once full of confidence when i finally got up it. Fucked the mat off as a bad idea in the end. Was still bad enough getting up there though.

Good effort (more logbook hours) :thumb

You wouldn't catch me up there, I don't like high things ;)

Lol yeah was thinking about what you said about Steeplejacking not being for everyone. Was gonna stop the guy in his van, one morning when i saw him arrive and ask him if he'd sign it :D

it’s got ladders from base to top at the moment I’m too chicken.

Pear Mill's much easier funnily enough. Thanks though :thumb

Nice one, I really want to do a climb, but im such a klutz, with Rems MS I never know if a limb will fail me, also I dont suppose it would help my vertigo I developed on these meds lol. But I love viewing others climb

A villain called Don Whillans was fairly local to that area in the 50's/60's/70's. He was a rock climber and had vertigo and he climbed all over the world with hobnail boots on tied to a hemp rope. Get to yer local crag/ indoor wall if yer wanna see climbers climb - they're a friendly lot :D

Something I've always wanted to do but I just don't think I have the bottle!! Fair play to you mate!

I hope the little rotten pear gets some attention!

I reckon you would if you were with others.The first and last bits were the hardest. It's all in yer head.

My son goes climbing in there regularly and I've often looked up at this chimney and thought it was doable but looking at those ladders fuck that! Haha. You are a hell of a braver man than me, very well done for having the balls to do it!

Glad to hear it mate :thumb The walls good isn't it. Decent height as well. Remember visiting it for the first time and seeing the chimney then. Christ it looks bigger when yer get on it. Would love to say I do have the balls to do this unattached but I really don't. Or didn't on this occasion :D 2 no scaff bina's ftw. Safety is Paramount :brew

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Thanks for kind comments all.

Calamity Jane said:
Nice one, I really want to do a climb, but im such a klutz, with Rems MS I never know if a limb will fail me, also I dont suppose it would help my vertigo I developed on these meds lol. But I love viewing others climb

A villain called Don Whillans was fairly local to that area in the 50's/60's/70's. He was a rock climber and had vertigo and he climbed all over the world with hobnail boots on tied to a hemp rope. Get to yer local crag/ indoor wall if yer wanna see climbers climb - they're a friendly lot :D

Be good to practice I guess, Im into survival too, and do climb when I have too. The clock on top of Klingers was ok, my vertigo seems more affected if I look down, get a head wobble, but ive a shed loads of cranes on my door step at mo, and I mean a shed load, so tempting lol. Nice to here about this villian though, love new knowledge, cheers.

Last edited:

anubis

28" Member
28DL Full Member
You're a brave sort mate no doubt! I take my hat off to you and anyone that does height stuff. Something I have always wanted to do but after almost falling off a roof once erecting antennas I have never had the bottle to go back up one (I slid down the roof, shot over the edge and thankfully grabbed a rung of the ladder as I fell to Earth!)! I did a short course at Pear Mill in 1986 and spent hours wandering around the old place taking pics. Sadly, lost the films years ago but it was a heck of a place. Adidas used to have a distribution floor in there. Amazing old building. The engine house is cool. There has been a fairly new hydro unit fitted onto the Goyt at the rear that powers the Mill now I believe. More here. Gracious thanks for sharing and risking life and limb mate.

tallginge

more tall than ginger tho.....
Regular User
You're a brave sort mate no doubt! I take my hat off to you and anyone that does height stuff. Something I have always wanted to do but after almost falling off a roof once erecting antennas I have never had the bottle to go back up one (I slid down the roof, shot over the edge and thankfully grabbed a rung of the ladder as I fell to Earth!)! I did a short course at Pear Mill in 1986 and spent hours wandering around the old place taking pics. Sadly, lost the films years ago but it was a heck of a place. Adidas used to have a distribution floor in there. Amazing old building. The engine house is cool. There has been a fairly new hydro unit fitted onto the Goyt at the rear that powers the Mill now I believe. More here. Gracious thanks for sharing and risking life and limb mate.

I think nearly falling off a roof like that is enough to put anyone off mate! Gravity eh :rolleyes: Yeah the mill's one heck of a building - shame you lost the film. I worked on that job on the Goyt. Was like Butlins there - great job! Got dozens of pics of it being built too. There's a pic above of the top of the chimney taken with my phone held up against the eyepiece of the edm I used to make sure they built it where @Hoorah wanted it built. Glad you liked the pics mate :thumb

nice one ginge, glad you got round to experiencing jacks ladders, good arnt they :thumb

Thanks bud, yeah they're an experience alright :thumb

I would get a few feet up those ladders and shit myself! Well done you for doing it.

Sounds like you'd be more scared getting on to the ladders. The bottom one's a few feet up :p Cheers tho :thumb

Secca

28DL Member
28DL Member
I certainly won't be climbing up that death trap to throw you off the property.

Who has read this thread (Total: 522) View details