real time web analytics
Report - - Penallta Colliery, South Wales - January 2020 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

meganjenks

28DL Member
28DL Member
I've always loved exploring around this spot, purely because there's always something new to find whenever I go there.

Outdoors, the winding wheels still exist and still turn (in the wind). You have to climb through a gap in the fence to get to these structures properly but a majority of the residents living opposite don't seem to mind the people who will park up and have a look.

IMG_9040.jpg
IMG_9042.jpg

This is the winding wheel directly by the fence you have to climb through - as you can see the paint is coming off and the metal is all rusted but this just adds to the level of decay and makes an impressive structure look even more impressive.

IMG_9032.jpg
IMG_8996.jpg

I then went inside the main building to have a look around. I've visited this site multiple times but this is the only time I've ever managed to get inside because pretty much every entrance is bricked up.

IMG_1850.jpg

I'm not gonna lie, there's not a great deal inside here. It was just nice to actually be able to get inside after trying for so long.
It is quite impressive though, and you can still se all of the winding gear that would have been used when the mine was still in operation.

IMG_1859.jpg

IMG_1840.jpg

I hope these images are good enough for anyone who decides to read this report, if you have any questions about the location don't hesitate to ask and I'll try my best to answer!

Lenston

Bajo Tierra
Regular User
Nice those, did you try the Bathhouse on the hill at the other side? Well worth a look if you go back, much more to see in that building.

meganjenks

28DL Member
28DL Member
Nice those, did you try the Bathhouse on the hill at the other side? Well worth a look if you go back, much more to see in that building.
I tried to get up there. Unfortunately with all the development going on there now, they've taken away the slope that led up to the bath houses so it's literally like a cliff face now. I'm definitely gonna try and get in through the entrance on the main road though!!

Lenston

Bajo Tierra
Regular User
I tried to get up there. Unfortunately with all the development going on there now, they've taken away the slope that led up to the bath houses so it's literally like a cliff face now. I'm definitely gonna try and get in through the entrance on the main road though!!
Open window up on the roof if you can get up there :thumb

MrDevla

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Never see this before and what a cracking place it is, I'm in Cwmbran in a few weeks so a visit over here looks to be on the cards.

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Really nice report, when we went some time ago a massive owl swooped down from the roof and scared the shit out of me.

Who has read this thread (Total: 406) View details