real time web analytics
Report - - Pennine Tower, Lancaster (Forton) Services M6 - July 2013. | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Pennine Tower, Lancaster (Forton) Services M6 - July 2013.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin

Pennine Tower, Lancaster (Forton) Services M6

1.jpg

The M6 could arguably be a derp, not in the same league as "glamour" and throw in the words "Motorway Services" and it's a recipe for fail right ? :rolleyes:

We made a quick pit stop after a recent caving trip, armed with some plastic forks from a trip to M&S we set about the tower

Apologies for the shonky pics, I only had my phone about my person as we chanced this one..

..Roll back to 1965 and Forton services was the first motorway service station in the UK, and was originally named after the nearby village of Forton

Notable for an unusual hexagonal concrete tower on the Northbound side, 'Pennine Tower', originally housed an up-market restaurant and a sun deck

The architect was T.P. Bennett & Son and it was originally operated by The Rank Organisation

With its air traffic control aesthetic, waiter service and unparalleled views of the motorway, the 22 metre-high (72ft) concrete tower @ Forton services was a must-stop destination for many drivers in the 1960's

Some of its earlier patrons were said to have included the Beatles who regularly made the 70 mile journey from Liverpool to experience this high raised cosmopolitan world of speed, travelers and cappuccinos

The tower closed to the public in 1989 due to various health and safety concerns (asbestos) and having mooched around here myself recently can appreciate why :(

plan.jpg

plan2.jpg

4.jpg

2.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Forton Services Post Office - First Day Cover

3.jpg

>> FFWD

8.jpg

9.jpg

16.jpg

M6 Southbound

10.jpg

M6 Northbound

11.jpg

Summit

12.jpg

15.jpg

13.jpg

14-1.jpg

The restaurant bit was stacked with all manner of crap and pics were proving difficult on phone,
so we decided to take our snacks upto the roof and chill in the sun for a while after been holed up in Heron Pot most of the day

A nice leisurely stroll for a change :thumb

Ian2000

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
How the heck did u get in there - I've stopped often but the wife claims I'll be arrested if I try!