real time web analytics
Report - - Periton Mead, Minehead, Somerset. Sept 2017 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Periton Mead, Minehead, Somerset. Sept 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Styru

Admin
28DL Full Member
Built as a private dwelling between 1915 & 1922 Periton Mead Manor House - by Percy Morley Horder.

The building is grade 2 listed because it is....

"a significant example of Horder’s Arts and Crafts interpretation of Tudor building, employing convincing variation within a symmetrical plan-form and elevations, applying sparing but considered external detailing and making use of traditional materials and craftsmanship"

Over the years it has housed various educational establishments. Between 1945 & the mid 90's it served as a boarding school for children aged 6 to 16 with special needs and was run by Bristol City Council.

In 1999 it re-opened as a (short lived) independent boarding school for young people with behavioral issues.

Today it lies empty, but with a fine selection of beautiful fire places, and more than it's fair share of safes!

Currently planning application is in to convert the main building into 14 flats, with another 17 new properties on the 3.6 acre gardens.

DSC_0033.JPG
DSC_0036.JPG
DSC_0039.JPG
DSC_0041.JPG
DSC_0044.JPG
DSC_0054.JPG
DSC_0058.JPG
DSC_0059.JPG
DSC_0063.JPG
DSC_0064.JPG
DSC_0069.JPG
DSC_0074.JPG
DSC_0076.JPG
DSC_0080.JPG
DSC_0081.JPG
DSC_0085.JPG
DSC_0086.JPG
DSC_0089.JPG
DSC_0090.JPG
DSC_0092.JPG
DSC_0093.JPG
DSC_0099.JPG
DSC_0110.JPG
DSC_0114.JPG
View attachment 738873
DSC_0117.JPG
DSC_0118.JPG
DSC_0124.JPG
DSC_0127.JPG
DSC_0137.JPG

xTheRoseRedx

28DL Member
28DL Member
Me and Lorraine had a look around this today, got into the sports hall and outer buildings but bumped into "Security" as we attempted to find a way into the main building. They told us they had caught us on their CCTV, but we looked pretty extensively and didn't see any camera's anywhere. After a bit of back and forth they were friendly enough to let us leave, but not before telling us that we could go to prison for being there... Haha.

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
That's a lovely building, hopefully it will make a great home for somebody, complete with sports hall !

Jollux91

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I helped to write the planning application for this, and indeed get the permission granted for the development! It is a fascinating site with a lot of history.

Unknown_Territory

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I explored this on my own a month after this report. Getting into the place was easy enough and hedges prevent anyone from seeing you there, but getting out again was more of a process as a dog from a garden the opposite side of the main road decided to bark. I ended up having a long friendly chat with a person who felt that anything that replaces it will struggle because of its location and asking prices for property. There was talk that learning disability people were being earmarked for the site, but this was felt would not be suitable either. Will be interesting to see what happens with the site.

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
It's Grade II listed so it's unlikely to be gone. I think planning was granted to convert it to "homes" in late 2017. The best way to find out if it's happened yet is to go and explore, rather than asking for tourist information ;)

KelseyMaria23

28DL Member
28DL Member
Visited this site today. Very much so still there. Easy access in aswell. Saw some kids in the surrounding buildings but they were just exploring like myself :)

J1S

Instagram: @got2xplore
28DL Full Member
I explored this on my own a month after this report. Getting into the place was easy enough and hedges prevent anyone from seeing you there, but getting out again was more of a process as a dog from a garden the opposite side of the main road decided to bark. I ended up having a long friendly chat with a person who felt that anything that replaces it will struggle because of its location and asking prices for property. There was talk that learning disability people were being earmarked for the site, but this was felt would not be suitable either. Will be interesting to see what happens with the site.
Any news on this ? I know it’s been a while but do you know if it’s still there ?

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
Any news on this ? I know it’s been a while but do you know if it’s still there ?

As above

It's Grade II listed so it's unlikely to be gone. I think planning was granted to convert it to "homes" in late 2017. The best way to find out if it's happened yet is to go and explore, rather than asking for tourist information ;)

TBH you're not likely to get a positive response to this as you've not made any contribution to the forum.

Have a read of these two threads, they'll show you how things work on here -

https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/threads/new-members-dos-and-donts-read-this-before-posting.113090/

https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/threads/28-days-later-survival-guide-for-newbies.116319/

...then post some reports of places you've been so people know you're genuine, that way they're more likely to help.

Betty Mudd

28DL Member
28DL Member
Built as a private dwelling between 1915 & 1922 Periton Mead Manor House - by Percy Morley Horder.

The building is grade 2 listed because it is....

"a significant example of Horder’s Arts and Crafts interpretation of Tudor building, employing convincing variation within a symmetrical plan-form and elevations, applying sparing but considered external detailing and making use of traditional materials and craftsmanship"

Over the years it has housed various educational establishments. Between 1945 & the mid 90's it served as a boarding school for children aged 6 to 16 with special needs and was run by Bristol City Council.

In 1999 it re-opened as a (short lived) independent boarding school for young people with behavioral issues.

Today it lies empty, but with a fine selection of beautiful fire places, and more than it's fair share of safes!

Currently planning application is in to convert the main building into 14 flats, with another 17 new properties on the 3.6 acre gardens.

DSC_0033.JPG
DSC_0036.JPG
DSC_0039.JPG
DSC_0041.JPG
DSC_0044.JPG
DSC_0054.JPG
DSC_0058.JPG
DSC_0059.JPG
DSC_0063.JPG
DSC_0064.JPG
DSC_0069.JPG
DSC_0074.JPG
DSC_0076.JPG
DSC_0080.JPG
DSC_0081.JPG
DSC_0085.JPG
DSC_0086.JPG
DSC_0089.JPG
DSC_0090.JPG
DSC_0092.JPG
DSC_0093.JPG
DSC_0099.JPG
DSC_0110.JPG
DSC_0114.JPG
View attachment 738873
DSC_0117.JPG
DSC_0118.JPG
DSC_0124.JPG
DSC_0127.JPG
DSC_0137.JPG
I loved it here, I cant rember much of my child hood, but was happy here, Iris rembers me, I was known as little Betty Hunt so I am told, its a beautiful building, we meet up every two years.next year going up to see it (my home).

Who has read this thread (Total: 262) View details