real time web analytics
Report - - perrimount gardens air raid shelter, Thanet - Dec 09 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - perrimount gardens air raid shelter, Thanet - Dec 09

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
Ok, here it goes. This is my 1st report so please go easy on me as i have seen that many 1st reports go to the epic bin lol

Visited this site with frosty and fortknox just before christmas.

This place is a bit of an odd one...

It is situated under a park/gardens in broadstairs and is rumoured to have been used as air raid protection in WW2. It is currently used to house a water pump for the above fountain.

I had accessed this place a couple of years back and the condition hasen't changed but this time i was armed with my camera to document the site!

It sits approx. 10ft underground and has regular shafts providing ventilation. Access is via a locked private entrance which i believe is now also boarded up.

The tunnel system consists of two sections, the 1st is a standard concrete lined section. the second section is of a very odd construction type!

anyway...on with the pictures!

this is one of the original tunnel doors, now left to decay on the floor
4228694276_ff7953fee4.jpg

this was the primary entrance to the tunnel system, now sealed up
4228685886_b11890edec.jpg

this is just to the left of the original entrance
4227918645_ac941947c5.jpg

along with this
4228689762_c066a92faf.jpg

The 1st part of the tunnel is a common construction type as seen in many WW2 shelters in the area
4227916749_032cd648a6.jpg

But then a very different construction type is used in the second part. The two types can clearly be seen here
4228697350_2a7f1f8780.jpg

Longest tunnel in the complex
4227924047_f9df0f89f1.jpg

Showing more of the tunnel system
4227926293_c9cd415b49.jpg

4228696182_33c6466185.jpg

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
Agree with all the above. Good photos and a bit of a report - keep at it.

Is this one of the standard local authority type shelters with little brick entrances (now sealed up) or something different?

Hey there pauln. No this is still accessable to whoever owns it, the entrance labelled as now sealed up refers to a locked gate, behind that is a couple of sheets of wood nailed shut as seen from the inside in picture 2. Its a bit of an odd one. No one seems to know much about it but its a fair size. In comparrison to somewhere common in the area like sarre BHQ its probably around double the size (ish) :thumb

Hope that answers your question mate, about the best i can do lol

D

Deleted member 133898

Blimey you found Obs first ever report.. :D
Hit this location just the other day after last years attempt was a bust, and wanted to see what the reports on it were like.

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
didnt they used to do tours in it at one point? that what i read when i did some research on it.
Not that i remember reading about,.at one point if you asked the right people they would let you in, i visited twice and the second time was a casual stroll with permission

D

Deleted member 133898

For some resaon i though you also went last year when a lot of other people did . until i saw other day you only just got to it.
I did go last year pal but was a bust due to an over zealous security guard