real time web analytics
Question - - Petzl Meteor III climbing helmets... | Kit / Clothing / Equipment | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Petzl Meteor III climbing helmets...

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Shocktictacs

Put it in me.
28DL Full Member
All depends on what you want to use it for, helmets like this are great for lightweight sport climbing etc, but the construction is similar to bicycle helmets to an extent. Great for protecting against short falls and small rocks etc and they are incredibly light weight, but if you take the brunt of a fall or big rock on it, could do you some damage still. The outer shell is not made from rigid plastic like traditional helmets so if you're using it in mines or anything like that, it wont last too long if you're prone to banging your head and shit. That said, they're incredibly comfortable to wear.

If you're looking for something for underground/drains/caving etc, you'd probably be a lot better off with the good old 'camp' helmets, they're a rigid build and great for just bumping around taking big rocks on. Something like the Mammut El Cap or the Black Diamond Half Dome would be up your street. They're designed for big wall climbing, so they light, comfy/nicely padded and have a rigid solid outer shell, making them ideal for this kind of thing. Go Outdoors stock both...

Mammut El Cap Climbing Helmet | GO Outdoors

Black Diamond Half Dome Helmet | GO Outdoors

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Thanks for the reply. I've got an Ecrin Roc with a permanently attached Stenlight for anything underground. That's a bit heavy and clunky for climbing though. I did try the Mammut on, it's ok, and looks the part. The other one is minging.

pirate

Rum Swigger
28DL Full Member
Could you use the mamut as a cycle helmet ? I quite like the look of it,would save me buying 2helmets

Shocktictacs

Put it in me.
28DL Full Member
Could you use the mammut as a cycle helmet ? I quite like the look of it,would save me buying 2helmets

I cant see why it would be an issue, it protects your head. Although it doesn't have as much foam inside it as a cycle helmet etc so might not absorb shock as well as a proper cycle helmet would.

Who has read this thread (Total: 1) View details