real time web analytics
Report - - Pianoforte Supplies LTD, Roade, Jan 2010 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Pianoforte Supplies LTD, Roade, Jan 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

layz

Conquistador d'Wolverton
28DL Full Member
Evening Guys,

My girlfriend and I explored this place today; she leant me her camera for a few shots, as mine is officially shite! So thanks again for that. Initially I had very low expectations and the first few rooms weren’t much cop. We then however found the foundry which had many original features used for the manufacturing of metal components in pianos.

History
The pianoforte factory was founded as ‘Pianoforte supplies LTD’ in 1923 by C. Cripps, and specialized in producing castors and other metal fixtures for pianos. The firm also was used a small foundry for other industries including the automotive.
During WW2 the factory was used to manufacture many small fixtures and components for the war-effort.
Shortly after the war the factory reached its staffing peak, but like most British industries failed to modernize, and production of piano supplies ceased in the 1980s.

Today
The site is still partial in use and is now owned by Simplex, who I believe make components for Vauxhall. The fate of the derlict buildings has been uncertain for years, as 3 sets of planning applications for 100 new houses have been rejected. However in October 2009 plans for 39 new houses were finally approved:

roademap.jpg

Anyway, on with the explore:

PianoforteFactoryRoadeExternal.jpg

PianoforteFactoryRoadeExternalII.jpg

Conveyor for pressing piano castors:
PianoforteFactoryRoadecastormaker.jpg

PianoforteFactoryRoadecog.jpg

The furnace for melting the steel/iron
RoadeFoundry.jpg

Crucibles, used to pour molten steel into molds:
PianoforteFactoryRoadecrucible.jpg

Molds for holding sand-casts of handles and castors:
PianoforteFactoryRoademold.jpg

PianoforteFactoryRoadeinside.jpg

‘Safety Notice Board’ “There’s a TREE in here!”
PianoforteFactoryRoadetree.jpg

On site power generator:
PianoforteFactoryRoadegenerator2.jpg

Impressive lead-lag meter, evidence of significant AC power generation:
PianoforteFactoryRoadeleadlag.jpg

PianoforteFactoryRoadevice.jpg
Regards,

Last edited:
S

shadow_movement

Hi, anyone know if this place is still around? Did the planning permission go through in the end?

john roberts

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi, Found this site by accident, I remember my father working there. The way he and his colleagues were treated and paid I am quite glad it is not open any more.