real time web analytics
Report - - Pig Research Centre, Stotfold, Bedfordshire, April 2013 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Pig Research Centre, Stotfold, Bedfordshire, April 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

PCWOX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The UK pig industries Development Unit, just outside Stotfold in Bedfordshire was opened by Lord Belstead, Minister of State (Lords), Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Foods in November 1984.
Over the years it underwent many changes but was always at the forefront of research firmly aimed at delivery of practical opportunities, work which could be quickly disseminated and implemented on working pig farms.
At its peak the unit employed 10 staff and had 300 sows. However major changes in the industry and a fundamental shift in the strategy of the British Pig Executive (BPEX) meant it was no longer needed and over the last six months of its life was gradually wound down
The final piece of research work was completed in May 2007, and the site closed sometime in July 2007
A BPEX Director of Pig Industry Development said at the time: "Stotfold has been a huge asset to the industry over the years and we are sad to see it go. "BPEX carried out a major review of its research and development and unfortunately Stotfold didn't fit into the new perspective."
Very interesting site this, with more to see than you would think on first glance. Can still imagine the pigs there squealing away, and some of that farmyard smell remains :D
Didn't have a tripod with me on this trip.

file-120.jpg

file-106.jpg

file-2.jpg

file-3.jpg

Looks like a pig morgue to me...
file-17.jpg

file-13.jpg

file-26.jpg

file-24.jpg

file-48.jpg

file-42.jpg

file-34.jpg

file-35.jpg

file-30.jpg

file-68.jpg

file-52.jpg

Pig medicine
file-93.jpg

file-82.jpg

file-79.jpg

file-61.jpg

file-60.jpg

Think this is where the pigs got washed
file-29.jpg

file-98.jpg

file-81.jpg

file-99.jpg

There was a row of houses also, presumably accommodation for staff members
file-118.jpg

file-107.jpg

file-113.jpg

file-112.jpg

file-111.jpg

file-121.jpg

Alan Cooper

28DL Member
28DL Member
The UK pig industries Development Unit, just outside Stotfold in Bedfordshire was opened by Lord Belstead, Minister of State (Lords), Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Foods in November 1984.
Over the years it underwent many changes but was always at the forefront of research firmly aimed at delivery of practical opportunities, work which could be quickly disseminated and implemented on working pig farms.
At its peak the unit employed 10 staff and had 300 sows. However major changes in the industry and a fundamental shift in the strategy of the British Pig Executive (BPEX) meant it was no longer needed and over the last six months of its life was gradually wound down
The final piece of research work was completed in May 2007, and the site closed sometime in July 2007
A BPEX Director of Pig Industry Development said at the time: "Stotfold has been a huge asset to the industry over the years and we are sad to see it go. "BPEX carried out a major review of its research and development and unfortunately Stotfold didn't fit into the new perspective."
Very interesting site this, with more to see than you would think on first glance. Can still imagine the pigs there squealing away, and some of that farmyard smell remains :D
Didn't have a tripod with me on this trip.

file-120.jpg

file-106.jpg

file-2.jpg

file-3.jpg

Looks like a pig morgue to me...
file-17.jpg

file-13.jpg

file-26.jpg

file-24.jpg

file-48.jpg

file-42.jpg

file-34.jpg

file-35.jpg

file-30.jpg

file-68.jpg

file-52.jpg

Pig medicine
file-93.jpg

file-82.jpg

file-79.jpg

file-61.jpg

file-60.jpg

Think this is where the pigs got washed
file-29.jpg

file-98.jpg

file-81.jpg

file-99.jpg

There was a row of houses also, presumably accommodation for staff members
file-118.jpg

file-107.jpg

file-113.jpg

file-112.jpg

file-111.jpg

file-121.jpg
I must suggest that some of the history of this site has been missed off. The report and subsequent ones state it was opened in November 1984 (under MAFF). My father, with others, worked there in the late 60's - early 70's when it was already well established and known locally as the 'pig breeding station' with the purpose of selectively breeding pigs to with characteristics to suit the needs of the market place. My school coach (for me from 1963) used to collect one or two pupils from the houses there each weekday morning. I do not know the date of origin but must suggest that is more likely to be 1954 rather than 1984 which is certainly not correct?

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
I must suggest that some of the history of this site has been missed off. The report and subsequent ones state it was opened in November 1984 (under MAFF). My father, with others, worked there in the late 60's - early 70's when it was already well established and known locally as the 'pig breeding station' with the purpose of selectively breeding pigs to with characteristics to suit the needs of the market place. My school coach (for me from 1963) used to collect one or two pupils from the houses there each weekday morning. I do not know the date of origin but must suggest that is more likely to be 1954 rather than 1984 which is certainly not correct?

Sort of. The site was used before, but none of the buildings shown here were built in the 50s. It was rebuilt in the 8os. The below is copied from Pig-World.c.uk

"The original pig testing station at Stotfold came into operation in 1957. It was the second of five built by the Pig Industry Development Authority in that period as part of an intensive effort by the British pig industry to improve productivity and carcase quality.

It became a boar testing unit, but when that ended in the early 1980s, building work got underway on turning the site into a 300-sow pig development unit.

Five.Claws

General Nuisance
28DL Full Member
Really interesting site, looks like plenty to see, very varied. Unusual subject matter too, must have been a fascinating wander.
You did well if you avoided keeping that awesome “Pigimilk” mug... not sure if I could have resisted that temptation! :p