real time web analytics
Report - - Pilkington Glass Sandwash Plant, St helens, August 2020 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Pilkington Glass Sandwash Plant, St helens, August 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Shaun

28DL Regular User
28DL Full Member
Decided id wait till i got my new camera before posting a report on here. so i had a free saturday in august so decided to pop down to St Helens to have a quick revisit of this arguably classic place.
History (Via @urbanchemist)
The Windle sandwash plant was used for processing sand destined for the Pilkington glassmaking factories in St Helens. Its function was to produce material of consistent quality, which meant getting rid of oversized or undersized particles, blending different batches, and washing off surface-bound iron impurities which would otherwise make the glass too green. The sand itself came from various nearby sandpits on the Lancashire plain. The plant closed sometime during the 60s.
Explore
having visited this place before, i was glad to find out i didnt need to get soggy feet to get in this time. this place is still a favourite just because of how different it is. the building is completely destroyed but the fact there are still machinery left is why it is better than your average derp factory or mill. The rusted skywalk is not for the faint hearted but relatively stable. The sand drums are very impressive. So if you for some unlucky reason find yourself in St Helens its worth an hour derp tour.

Attachments

• DSC_0102_2.JPG
    DSC_0102_2.JPG
    175.2 KB · Views: 40

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report. I found it quite photogenic too despite its lack of epicness

Who has read this thread (Total: 208) View details