real time web analytics
Report - - Pilkingtons Tiles Swinton 02-2011 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Pilkingtons Tiles Swinton 02-2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
pilkingtons tiles and ceramics Swinton visited with oldskool on a very
wet and miserable day so it's a good job most of this explore is indoors.this site has had a bit of coverage already and i guess it will get some more attention before it's finally gone, the site is huge but a lot has already gone their not hanging about clearing this one.the first impression was that of disappointment but once we got into it it turned out to be a really good explore with everything from modern kilns to a 1960/70's canteen and offices tiled in some seriously bad tiles.we also found some old style rail wagons in a little out building which look like they should be down a mine at a guess they may have been used to move clay.i would say we managed about 2/3 rds of the site so a quick re-visit is in order.i'm not going into a massive history lesson on this as it's been very well covered but it was founded in 1892 when at first a coal mining enterprise struck clay instead of coal and took advantage of this to become one of the leading manufacturers of ceramics and tiles in the uk, the company went into administration june 2010 with the loss of 343 jobs which was a huge loss for the local area..short but to the point.

pila.jpg
pilb.jpg

This was England
pilc.jpg

pild.jpg
pile.jpg

pilf.jpg

pilg.jpg

pilh.jpg

pili.jpg

pilj.jpg
piljj.jpg