real time web analytics
Report - - Pine End Works, Lydney - Sep 2014 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Pine End Works, Lydney - Sep 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Pine End Works, Lydney - September 2014

QyMnjrZ.jpg

Crew: Tallrich, Ourtcloud, FIX1T, and a couple of non members.​

History

Pine End Works occupies a 14 acre site in Harbour Road, a couple of miles away from Lydney, next to the Severn Estuary. It was commisioned and constructed by the Government in 1940, and it was built to produce technical aircraft and marine plywood for wartime requirements. It was known as a “shadow factory”, meaning it was built in secrecy so as to keep manufacturing goods vital to the war effort, when factories in other, more vulnerable locations had been destroyed by bombing. To preserve secrecy it was known as “Factories Direction Ltd”, and it continued to be called this long after the war ended until it was taken over by two of the countries largest timber producers, William Mallison and Sons Ltd. and Gliksten Plywood Limited. It’s name was changed to “Mallison-Denny (Lydney) Limited” after a change of ownership.

During the war it was used to produce wooden aircraft panels for the Mosquito fighter-bomber and the Horsa assault gliders used in the D Day landings. In the 80s three inch thick rubber and grit surfaced plywood made at Pine End was used in a refubishment of Tower Bridge. It also supplied plywood to the Admiralty, the MoD, British Rail, vehicle manufacturers and boat builders. Something known as “Hydroboard” was produced at Pine End as well. It was a “chemically impregnated densified and compressed plywood” used in nuclear shielding in power stations.

Visit

Since Pine End Works is another local site to us we thought we'd have a go at something above ground for a change. After chatting to a few members about access we piled in the car and went down for a butchers, as we were told there is zero security on site and access was very easy although we got a few funny looks for dog walkers while we were getting through the gate.

The actual visit was amazing, even though the factory has pretty much been gutted since the last reports; all the machinery has been removed etc. the lighting was fabulous and there's still loads to see there which made it a very worthwhile mooch.

Pics (Tallrich & Ourtcloud)

One of the few exterior shots
R0eA1gL.jpg

Pretty sparse inside now
P6BIM1x.jpg

Lovely light though
2LDUZLc.jpg

Parts shelves
BWR1Hsw.jpg

Panorama of the main floor
VCQReTd.jpg

Safety Goggles
mRVSyfR.jpg

Lonely chair
8cUM2tu.jpg

More space
GbaYbBX.jpg

Nature beginning to take over
E0rrmht.jpg

Ladies Bathroom
JtXfqKF.jpg

Stalactites
JoDumF1.jpg

Awesome roof
qUkjdsB.jpg

Water damaged wall
IBN4x4U.jpg

Tracks... you sure we're not in a mine?
JN8XthQ.jpg

More stalactites
kG9uPzA.jpg

Three pictures in a picture!
K8nEW7L.jpg

My favourite room in the whole place
knnPihj.jpg

Overgrown stairway
gnm9oxR.jpg

I knew hiding Rich's new lens was a bad idea!
uJGsYHl.jpg

Ooh er :gay
EYbsGdI.jpg

Loads more pics here
http://the-lockup.co.uk/pine-ends-factory-lydney-092014/

Last edited:

squiddey4

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Lovely, looks vast. I love giant open spaces like this, wish there was more down where I live!