real time web analytics
Report - - Pinner Quarry - Crawshawbooth, Rossendale - July 2017 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Pinner Quarry - Crawshawbooth, Rossendale - July 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

EOA

Exploring with Bob
28DL Full Member
I’ve compiled this report over a couple of solo missions into Pinner Quarry. The first one no one knew where I was, something I grew increasingly aware of the more I ventured into the right hand side . The second attempt I let TLR know where I was going in case I did not make it out, which was the sensible thing to do.

Pinner quarry is quarry where the drift is mined underground. They used to produce Haslingden flags, building stone, setts and engine beds. It’s main period of use was between 1841 and in 1923. However, there may have been a couple of years use in 1985 / 1986 with five miners.

It is mostly a hillside quarry, with the working face to the north. Any spoil was tipped behind. It has a total of eight entrances on the south side, most of which are blocked off. This explore covers the east side as far west as the new small-bore rifle range that runs down the middle.

My Descent

TheWayintoPinner4c2bb.jpg

The first thing that hit me when I went into Pinner, having been in Scout Mine the week before, was the height of the ceiling. It is much, much lower by comparison. It is also much more complex straight off the bat, or so it would seem. The first adit on the left is completely collapsed, something I only properly appreciated on my second visit. And maybe that was for the best.

I took the next adit to the left and followed it along, stooping as I went to get through everly decreasing passageways. They must have been very short miners. Nothing to do with the roof having collapsed...

I found my first hanging stone around this section. These things are dotted all about in here.

TheFloatingStone09df3.jpg

I don't know why there are hanging stones, but I guess they must be for people to gather their bearings, which is to be fair what I would use them for later when I got lost.

Light painted the stone only in the darkness...

TheHangingStone7d1d9.jpg

On the first visit I kept following this around. But on the second I kept left and discovered "P32", which is near to the infamous crane. At least that's what I think. There are two routes that I could see that might lead to it, which I took on my second trip. They are both into caved in sections and access to the areas beyond are through tight passages that require walking on hands and knees. The one around to the left (which has it's own hanging stone) meets with some pipes. I did not go through there in case I could not get out again. The other goes up this impressive cascade of fallen stone.

TheFallae07e.jpg

I wish I had used me for scale in this shot, but it's a bit tricky to light paint something this size with me in it on a solo mission. Those slabs of rock are significant in size though. I climbed up into the hole and there are rooms beyond, but those would require crawling and squirming into areas I wasn't sure I could get out of, so I left it for a solo mission.

I still had a poke about on my second visit to see what I could see and I found a deeper area more to the centre. I think this helps put into perspective the extent of some of the general state of collapse in here.

lookingtotheleft7088e.jpg

This is a great high section and you can see the workings where the stone has been mined out. This is more or less adjacent to the photo above with the hanging stone. You can see where the pillar would have been, which is now covered by what once was the ceiling. At least that's the impression to my inexperienced eye!

There are some flakes that are due to fall at some stage too - you can see them coming away from the ceiling.

On my original trip I followed the left hand path around to the right, missing out the photo above and passing the cascade of rock on my left. On this path, the ceiling and floor drew closer together the more I travelled on, to the point I was stooping / crawling past precarious looking pillars of piled stones and rotten wood.

TightSqueezebd35d.jpg

There was a piece of string heading this way so I took comfort in that and let the string be my guide. As far as guides go, this string was pretty good. Didn't charge a penny and he led me deeper into the mine to the first part that felt like a proper passage. A nice stone wall lined area that has previously been home to tracks, because you could see where the sleepers once were.

TheTracksdd5cb.jpg

My string guide clearly knew where he was going, so we carried on. Off to the right and left were plenty of mined out areas with some of the least convincing roof supports you've ever seen. Seriously. It's a rotten log perched on a stone with a branch on top.

Thatwillholditnicely4a642.jpg

I really like the dry walls that line these passages ways.

StoneWallLinedWalls50212.jpg

Along this path was one of my favorite sections and I decided to take a selfie. In terms of scale, it's a nice passage to walk along and free of any spoil.

MeinPinner42179.jpg

Well mostly. I like these supports. At least they are not pretending to do something useful.

Disconcertingbbb27.jpg

Unlike these skinny chaps, who seem to think they're really helping by balancing on one leg.

PrecariousRoof3e10d.jpg

This passage eventually leads around to the exit next to the rifle range. But a decent adit leads off from that into the centre, which if I had taken the right adit when I got in the mine I would have found straight away. It have some primitive cave art.

ManMakeFire50711.jpg

Large open section, which you can reach by going right immediately or by following the track around from the left.

Totherightfcb32.jpg

On my first visit I'd been underground for a couple of hours and was probably ready to go, but I still wanted to find the crane and decided to explore the right hand side in case it was there. It was quite well caved in in various places and (of course) the crane was not there.

This was an older cave in, which was clear enough from the worn tracks that wove over the fallen stone. Again, some less than convincing stonework is used to support the major wooden beam.

BeforetheCollapse6f438.jpg

Through that gap was a lot more fallen ceiling, which I realised when I reach the beam on the other side.

Also on the right, another fallen section of ceiling. This looked fairly recent. There were more passageways and some more fallen rock. Probably a fair bit more to explore.

RoofCollapsee5f88.jpg

But for that trip, I was ready to go and left by the exit next to the rifle range. Happily they weren't shooting by I did make sure they weren't supposed to be before I went :thumb

PinnerExit538bd.jpg

I did get lost in the mine on my first visit, when I left my string guide to search some of the middle areas for the fucking crane. But I soon found myself again and I do not think this mine is really big enough to get properly lost in. There are some places I'd like to visit inside it, like the fucking crane, but I think I'll save those for when I have more company than a piece of string.

Thanks for reading. Hope you enjoy the report.

Cheers, EOA :thumb

Last edited:

elhomer12

Maglite size T-rex, It's time for urbex!
28DL Full Member
This looks decent, wouldn't mind checking this out myself

EOA

Exploring with Bob
28DL Full Member
This looks decent, wouldn't mind checking this out myself

If you're about before you go back I don't mind another trip. It is decent, just precarious in places, with some stoopy sections that make the beginnings of the Majestic Culverts seem positively welcoming.

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
You been busy!

btw those bits of wood generally aren't there to hold the ceiling up, they're there to show if the ceiling has moved or is unstable.

From the pics most of that stone looks like spoil and not ex-ceiling but I've not been in this one so could be wrong.

EOA

Exploring with Bob
28DL Full Member
You been busy!

btw those bits of wood generally aren't there to hold the ceiling up, they're there to show if the ceiling has moved or is unstable.

From the pics most of that stone looks like spoil and not ex-ceiling but I've not been in this one so could be wrong.

Cheers Oort - I wasn't kidding when I said I wanted to get down some mines. It's a shame I can't get along to the mine weekend, but I'm away that weekend unfortunately.

That makes a lot more sense, and it may explain the hanging rocks too? They're held up by a wooden peg in a crack in the ceiling, so I guess if that shifts the rock will fall.

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Shame, but no worries mate there will be a another one, plenty stuff going on this summer! :thumb

I have absolutely no idea about those hanging rocks, I'm actually quite intrigued myself. Your explanation certainly sounds sensible.

JoanneCard?

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Some really outstanding pics there... and you get within a stones throw of the crane !!..... and give in !!
The spoil on the floor is what was used as a secondary support for a collapse, it was originally walled up at the sides (something I learned from the kids I met the last time I was there, they even told me the name for it but I've forgotten it).
Access out after the ventilation pipes is easy going... and not that hard to get into.
I feel your pain in not finding the crane (It's on the perimeter, if that helps).
Looking at the pillar stacks you can see the shale where the mining begins.... and as they cut down you see where the flags come from, another step down the sets / building stone... Then to the bottom the big blocks... It's a stunning place and you've captured it well.
I'm pretty sure the mine goes behind the firing range (Though I didn't explore that side and I believe it gets greater in height too).
From what I remember TLR hasn't found the crane either.... yet you was so very close (the air shaft and P32) ....
Still, some of the best pics I've seen of the place.
The dangers in these places is easy to see.... yet I felt safe... If I'd heard a crash then maybe I'd feel different.... When you look at pics of Facit with its crane half sunk in mud and cracks in the roof between pillars, then I'd possibly feel a little unsettled.
I didn't go looking for the crane, but fortunately saw kids who just said "Stay left" to find it.... it was a bonus !!
Facit next EOA ?

EOA

Exploring with Bob
28DL Full Member
Cheers @JoanneCard? :thumb - some more new information for me there about who these mines worked.

I think some of my trepidation was down to being a complete mine novice and put off by what looking like collapses on that side. But what Oort has said about the beams acting as a way to measure movement (and if my assumption is right that the dangling rocks do the same thing), then it's looking more solid than I thought and importantly for the way my brain works, it is testable to some extent whether it's more solid. If the beams are in the same place / no dangling rocks on the floor, it should be good to go. So I'll be more confident when I go back in...

I don't think TLR has been in pinner yet, but as he knows more about these places than I do I reckon he'll be alright finding the crane.

Facit is on my list of places to go, but I am not going in alone. It's not just the precariousness of Facit, but the scope of its workings. I should get in it at some point. I've had a couple of chats about going in with someone who's been in and lived to tell the tale, but there are other mines on my list I want to get around to first.

EOA

Exploring with Bob
28DL Full Member
So, to make up for dragging @elhomer12 above ground I promised to take him underground to see the delights of one of our local stone quarries. This would see me making a third visit to Pinner and we would attempt to find the elusive crane, which ultimately we did. So I thought I would update my report with a few snaps. I know my way around here now quite well, and may put together a sketch of a map to finish my report. Obviously a map with a big disclaimer that it should never be used to find your way around.

We headed left passed the first hanging stone and then up the pile of spoil to the left of "P32". This takes you to the second hanging stone marking the incredibly low passage to the chamber with two pipes. From here the rest of the left side is easily accessible. It's a short crawl and hand and knees after taking rucksacks off. I suspect this was an entrance at some point that was used for tipping, which has been sealed and the pipes put in to provide air circulation. Aside from the barrels, there are women's heeled shoes, children's wellies, and an assortment of other shite that litters the spoil heap that takes you down from the low passage.

BarrelofLaughsd6a2b.jpg

Just to the left of me taking this snap are the remains of a small animal that made its way into the mine and never made its way out. Nothing says abandon all hope like a skull. Happily it wasn;t a human skull.

AbandonHope5ab01.jpg

From here the mine opens up into large vaulted areas, with paths lined with dry stone walls made from the spoil. There are stalactites in this area; the only area I've visited in the whole mine with them. The path winds around to the left and to a dead end - possibly the mines furthest left extremity. In that particular dead end is a small piece of old track, but no a lot. To find the crane we needed to bear right along the perimeter, up another spoil pile and under another stoopy ceiling. At this point you reach the area @JoanneCard? has likened to crazy paving, which is clearly from a roof collapse and it's a fair description for what you see. Sadly my snap did not do it justice, because it was difficult to get a vantage point. There is a massive area to the right with high ceilings (or low floors, I guess, depending on which way you look at it). And then the paths bear left again...

As we made our way further into the darkness we could hear the sound of running water. And on the left again, through a narrow gap, I could see an adit that looked partially collapsed veering off to the left with a large rotten beam hanging over. If it's to left and the crane is to the left, so it cannot be left unexplored. But we weren't getting in that way. Some more around to the right and the adit could be picked up again, by climbing over spoil and / or a collapsed roof (it's genuinely difficult to say which is what in some places). Finally beneath some beams the old tracks appear, a nice old feature.

Looking back over the scramble.

Pathtothecrane59e47.jpg

And then finally the rusting and rotting crane comes into view...

Plucking the crane out of the darkness.

TheCranebdafe.jpg

Another snap of the crane.

TheCraneToo06d54.jpg

A standard light painting approach...

PinnerCrane2fa0c.jpg

The crane is more impressive in real life that it is in any of the snaps I've seen and surprisingly the hand wheel still turns freely. I am very pleased that we found the crane, but I am not sure that ends my fascination with this mine.

I was much happier being in the mine this time. I am not sure if that is just because elhomer12 was along for the ride, or because I now know more about mines from the contributions to this thread. However, even elhomer12 who has more mine experience than me thinks there are some precarious sections. The is one in great slab of rock in particular (at the end of audit off the main circular path), which is clearly due to fall at some point.

Thanks for reading the update.

Cheers, EOA :thumb

PS - elhomer took his snaps in film, so that is a report to watch out for.

stonemonkey

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Wow!! great report and pics..... sweet as @EOA :thumb

I went in there once but didnt manage to stumble across the crane and felt the need to get out, i like going underground but being claustraphobic of a fashion and i didnt feel completely comfortable in there, maybe the low roofs or just evidence of all the fragmented and fragile rock did it for me but there was only one open access when we went, it looks like there was 2 when you went?
And well done to go in there solo, need to get myself back there and try and conquer some of these fears that are lurking lol

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
yeah, it's pretty sketch in here, I was sure glad to be out when I went in here

Reactions: EOA

JoanneCard?

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hahaa.... my son placed the skull on the stone there.... Possibly the remains of a foxes lunch.
Some great additions there @EOA ... and not only does the crane look more impressive in real life, it adds a sense of achievement in seeing a little bit of history in there.
We was at the crane within a minute from the airshafts (Which, I think had been drilled in place as a 45 degree incline sounds a little steep). We then walked the "crazy paving" when walking away.
I felt the greatest danger in there is a twisted ankle or clouting your head on low rocks.... the air felt and smelt fresh (ish) for a mine (I've been 20' inside one and the air was stale !! )
Friday we went looking in a wood that was littered with adits and shafts, we only found those that had been sealed. We got talking to an elderly local... who used to explore mines as a kid (and used to light-paint for the photos too). He also gave us an areal print of the lay of the land which had the trees removed for that area.
He told me the mines had to be sealed in the mid 80's due to an earthquake and the disruption of an underground lake higher up flooding the shafts, HSE deemed the mines unsafe and had them all closed.... Food for thought... How many quakes has Pinner stood up too ?
Then there's Cononley...... a 1 in 4 inclined entry thats cut into a rock that crumbles in your hands like compressed salt (You could grab a chunk and pull it off the wall)...... and I still feel more uncomfortable whilst travelling in a lift !!
However, I would never take someone further than their fear, I don't like it done to me, and I will no longer walk through such places blindly (I did Scammonden overflow several times as a kid without light.. and there was some big stones approaching the overflow that other kids used to throw down before the gates got added to the bridge !! ).
I'm pretty sure if a mild quake hit Pinner whilst I was inside I'd still come out with a big beaming smile.... and a heartbeat higher than it's highest ceiling !! :D :eek: