real time web analytics
Report - - Piranha (Culvert), Tameside, 2013-4 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Piranha (Culvert), Tameside, 2013-4

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Alley

Conspicuous Loiterer
Regular User
Visited with FreshFingers; Nickindroy; NinjaM; Ojay and SoundLightGo.

A boat trip down the Tame last summer led to the discovery of the outfall. SoundLightGo sailed his canoe straight into the large brick tunnel and decided it was interesting enough to come back for a proper look. First, we sailed downstream on lilos. I can’t remember now why we chose that method of transport but it was not the greatest idea and resulted in wet legs and the loss of one lilo. Next we sailed in FreshFingers’ rugged inflatable beauty which resulted in hauling it over the rocks each time we hit shallow water. Today, we stayed on dry land and battled through the undergrowth to get there. Nettle stings and bramble thorns in fingers :( So, here is Piranha - a toothy, stoopy marathon of a culvert.

Piranha%25207%2520800.jpg

It’s a combination of brook and sewers. The brook starts in Ashton-under-Lyne as Hurst Brook then becomes Shaw Brook and finally Jeremy Brook. It fed a reservoir next to Ryecroft Mill. From the 1780s small mills were built alongside the brook and in the 1800s many more cotton mills sprung up in this area. It was culverted in the mid 1800s. There some great old photos here of Ashton mills.

Piranha%2520Map%25201.jpg

Like many things, culverts get better with age and this is a fine example of ~150 years of water seeping, dripping and gushing its way to the river.

First chamber
Piranha%252016%2520800.jpg

To the left a sewer, to the right fresh(ish) water. I left the boys to look at the sewer and sat in the darkness, just a slice of light coming through the grid. I could hear water from every direction - the sewer’s distant roar, the brook’s soft trickling over uneven bricks and droplets falling and echoing beside me.

Junction
Piranha%25202%2520800.jpg

Stone
Piranha%252011%2520800.jpg

Fungus
Piranha%25206%2520800.jpg

Stalagberg
Piranha%252023%2520800.jpg

Icicles
Piranha%252025%2520800.jpg

Stone Arch
StoneArch.jpg

Low Arch
LowArch.jpg

Buttresses
Buttresses.jpg

Reinforcements
Reinforcements.jpg

Silhouette
Silhouette.jpg

This is as far as we went with the brook. It comes from a much smaller tunnel here. To FreshFingers’ right is the sluice gate in the next pic.
Piranha%252020%2520800.jpg

Sluice.jpg

To the left was the sludgy, stinking final stretch. Possibly oil from the railways above, it was black and pungent. Added to that was accidental sewage from a leaking pipe somewhere above this tunnel. Finally made it to our pot of gold :)

Down below the streets and houses, drainers stooping low,
Everyone can see them smiling in the manholes.
Paint the whole world with a rainbow.

All along the streams and sewers, shining in the flow,
See the colours of the rainbow as the fresh floats by.
Paint the whole world with a rainbow.

Piranha%252029%2520800b.jpg

See also Ojay's report

Last edited by a moderator:

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
First, we sailed downstream on lilos

Say's it all really, epic stuff and great report this, good to see what lay beyond that stone outfall finally, a great effort to all concerned :thumb

This wins for me

Piranha%25206%2520800.jpg

GAJ

Mr Muscle
28DL Full Member
Fuck, thought I was in that pic then ;)

Absolutely awesome stuff & a proper effort to get it done!

Well done :thumb

Nickindroy

A Porky Prime Cut
Regular User
Thank you for letting me be George. Wonderful. One of those days when you realise how great it is to be alive. :)

concreteJungle

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I love the variation in little culverts like this, you never knew what's going to be around the next corner. Great find and nicely captured :)

Alley

Conspicuous Loiterer
Regular User
I love the variation in little culverts like this, you never knew what's going to be around the next corner. Great find and nicely captured :)
Thanks. We were surprised no-one else had done it. I actually went through your and others' websites expecting to find it :)

Nickindroy

A Porky Prime Cut
Regular User
A short video of this outing

[video=youtube;7sRkrJbwrpU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sRkrJbwrpU[/video]