Report - Plas Gwynfryn, Gwynedd - March 2017

  • Welcome to - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password


28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Mar 2, 2017
North wales
The land at Plas Gwynfryn is first referred to in the early C16 as owned by Gruffydd ap John ap Grono. In the C17 it came into the Wynn family, Owen Wynn dying in 1668. Richard Ellis, who died in 1717, was the first of the line of Ellis family owners. It devolved to Rev David Ellis, rector of Criccieth, d.1761, who adopted the name Ellis-Nanney, and to another David, attorney general for North Wales in 1812. In 1866 the old house was demolished and a new building in a castellated style planned for Hugh Ellis Nanney, the architect being George Williams. The new house was completed in 1876 at the cost of £70,000 and illustrated as a fashionable new design in The Builder of 2.6.1877. It was occupied by the Tory MP Ellis Nanney, who was narrowly and famously defeated by Lloyd George in 1880. It became a hospital during the war, an orphanage and latterly a hotel until gutted by fire in c1982.
Built in dark grey snecked rock-faced stone with paler gritstone dressings. The main S front is romantically asymmetrical, with a crenellated tower of 3 storeys, gables, and a 3-part bay window oriel at first floor level, with a date stone in the gable. To the right of this a small stair turret, also crenellated. On the left side (W) a large porte-cochere with pinnacles. The windows are generally stone mullioned and transomed. A single storey parapetted billiard room extends at the far E end, and extensive service wing to the rear. Cast iron down pipes. The external shell has survived the fire although the slated roofs were destroyed.

We parked our car down a lane not far from the main driveway, but decided to cut across through some woodland and across the field to enter as there was a few other people about. After scrambling through thorns and getting stuck in some bog, I wish we would of just walked up the driveway in the end.
We just missed another couple exploring as we got there, but had the place to ourselves.
This place is falling apart and is full of leftover objects/junk. Passed a bit of time for us though...
Here's some of our pics :)











Likes: HughieD

Similar threads