real time web analytics
Report - - Plazza Cinema, Port Talbot - Dec 17 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Plazza Cinema, Port Talbot - Dec 17

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
First had a pop at this sometime in 2008 with Pop/Sinnerman & Dreamworks. The whole shitstorm that followed in the press meant it was sealed tight for many a year. Everytime I've subsequently looked its been nailed tight. Finally it became doable late last year once more. Not quite as good as it was 10 years ago with lots more stuff removed and the place falling to pieces.

The cinema opened in 1940 and has the typical appereance of Art Deco Odeons of the same era despite being fully independant. Some people claim it was due to be an Odeon but they pulled out. I just think they copied the style at the time. The cinema remained in its original one screen setup until closure in 1983 when it was turned into a bingo hall. The bingo hall only lasted 2 years before closing and the cinema was split into 4 cinemas using a periscope setup from the original projection rooms. In 1988 the front stalls floor was found to be rotten and the cinema was converted into a three cinema affair with the original upper stools acting as main screen and two smaller screens below. The conversion proved to a short lived affair and the cinema would close for good in 1999. The council purchased the buliding in 2005 with a view to reopening/restoring it to fit in with general regeneration around the railway station area. Despite this the buliding remains derelict and has fallen into a real bad way - some of the roof is missing and the subsequent water damage is seeping through all levels.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

Seffy

Staff member
Very nice mate, managed the lighting much better than me! Don’t think I’ve even edited mine yet.

Such ninja on entry and exit :cool::D

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Loved this place, my favourite UK cinema by far. Such an awesome level of dereliction.

Benoir

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks for the share, that's crazily nostalgic for me and I can remember watching ET in there and many more up until Saving Private Ryan where myself and the lads from school were having a smoke.

pob

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
this place is the only pace to give me the chills, but was amazing nice to see it again. goood report.

screenone

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That frontage reeks of Odeon, Periscope projection, worked with that for 20yrs, absolutely vile concoction, would hate to see a CinemaScope film on those tiny screens. Nice pics, thanks for making an old projectionist happy.