real time web analytics
Please be careful | General Exploring Chat Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Please be careful

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Lost Soul Exploring

28DL Member
28DL Member
PLEASE READ

A lesson in Urbex from today.

Attached to this post will be photos of a house that we have recently explored in 2022. It had all signs of being an abandoned building, overgrown trees, caravan rotting away, broken windows to the building.

The house has been burgled, it has been graffitied horribly and all of this happened while the home was not “abandoned”. The story of the house being that an elderly woman who went into hospital back in October. She has returned home following this to her house being absolutely ransacked and of course is very disheartened to see what has happened to her home. Now I am not saying this has happened by someone in the Urbex community but I can’t rule it out.

The house is now currently under investigation, we as Lost Soul Exploring have spoken to the police and will work with them through this. Along with this, the family want people in the community to be educated about what is/isn’t abandoned.

Do not trust every pin you have been sent even if you trust people. Do your own due diligence about abandoned buildings. We do not know how some of these people live, we aren’t aware of who is capable of what, who is in good health enough to maintain a house.

In regards to time capsules, in the community we are coming across more and more of these, examples such as, spice house, brass house, Alice’s house, now these are stunning to find, but they are also very dear to families, and we don’t know the situations of these houses. So if you do visit time capsules, please be aware they may not be actually be what we see. They may still be lived in, looked after, or just keepsaked away for memories in the future.

To the family, we send you the sincerest condolences in this time. We have been taught a real lesson about our hobby today and I am urging you all to please be careful, be careful for yourself, your health your wellbeing, but more please be careful of other people who may be affected by OUR actions as a community.

We explore as a hobby,we explore for the joy of being able to tell stories that people may not see otherwise. We do not explore to break and enter places, we aren’t thieves and we do not condone the malicious behaviour anybody not just explorers but anybody.

Please be careful out there guys!

Lost Soul Exploring

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Yup. What @Exploring with Andy and @mookster said. Avoid all this borderline 'residential' stuff. And the rightmove urbex places too. Get yer self some proper industrial abandoned goodness.

Industrial stuff, churches, the inordinate amount of military stuff, schools, the list is endless.

The issue is for the social media explorers they only care about content which bring them maximum views and likes, hence the obsession with not-really-abandoned time capsule houses, they attract far more attention online than your run of the mill industrial explores or the like.

Looking at some of the big Facebook pages right now, if I was just starting out or a foreign explorer looking in, I'd be forgiven for thinking that the only things people ever explore in the UK is houses.

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Industrial stuff, churches, the inordinate amount of military stuff, schools, the list is endless.

The issue is for the social media explorers they only care about content which bring them maximum views and likes, hence the obsession with not-really-abandoned time capsule houses, they attract far more attention online than your run of the mill industrial explores or the like.

Looking at some of the big Facebook pages right now, if I was just starting out or a foreign explorer looking in, I'd be forgiven for thinking that the only things people ever explore in the UK is houses.
Yeah, agreed. It's like some sort of obsessive cult at times. I know sometimes we all sail close to the wind a bit with this wonderful hobby, but some people's unswerving level of perceived entitlement to rumage through other's personal artifacts makes me feel uneasy. Things that appear to be abandoned with no owner often turn out to be just the opposite.

Els

Obsessed with BS7671
Regular User
My take on it would be to insist a "house explore" is properly named so it can be found by anyone or bring back the map and insist the location is put on that before posting. I guarantee that will separate the wheat from the chaff. Why people get so worked up over protecting these derps have no idea. Surly it's the owners problem?

paulpowers

Massive Member
Regular User
If it's a walk in and looks abandoned then it's up to the home owner to secure their shit
Houses aren't my bag and seem like more trouble than they're worth but ultimately it's not up to us to secure the property

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
That house doesn't even look remotely derelict. Why would anyone for any minute think it is?

A lesson would be to stop exploring shitty houses because nearly all of them are owned by someone or probably in the midst of a probate. I've done two in about 15 years and they were shit.

Feels like the lesson you are trying to preach is to try and absolve yourselves from the guilt of actually causing this whole shitshow and distress to the owner.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
It's not that though is it? No one's going to flip their shit over a culvert because it isn't someone's deceased loved one's former home

I quoted "why are house explores even allowed on here" why not its an exploring forum aint it? I can understand there is more implications of family ties etc so can cause more grief but that's just what we do.
Its a bit pointless saying we cant show certain types of places cos it may upset someone , its hardly the English heritage website!

That said I do think admin should implement the rule that they introduced & bin anything that is not "historically or architecturally interesting" as that was agreed on months ago

Who has read this thread (Total: 338) View details