real time web analytics
Information - - Please read and help if you can, This place doesn't run itself | General Exploring Chat Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Information - Please read and help if you can, This place doesn't run itself

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

mockney reject

Staff member
Well for those of us that use Photobucket the last few weeks have been a little interesting to say the least. Although if you live under a rock and have no idea what I’m on about I’ll quickly explain.

The thieving robbing bastard's that are Photobucket have decided to stop any third party hosting of images stored on their site. Yup this means if you use Photobucket for your reports they are now picture less. Helpful on a forum that relies heavily on pictures..... :banghead

Wankers!!!

Now what’s the solution I hear you cry?

Well we can pay Photobucket $399 a year each to enable third party hosting

Or

We can swap our pictures to another host and edit all our reports. Looooong! :sleep:sleep:sleep

All well and good but what about explorers who have passed away or have long left the game.

Well nothing, they would have been lost.

That is until out two intrepid forum Supermods @Oxygen Thief and @Ojay stepped in. :Not Worthy:Not Worthy

Encase you're unaware these two have put in some serious hours and managed with some clever work, lots of tinnies and some wizardry that would put Harry Potter to shame to have saved the day.

I won’t pretend to know how they did it but somehow they have done something amazing and got around the third party issue.

That’s makes things all well and good in our books but remember guys n girls this place doesn’t pay for itself and things come at a cost.

We all use 28 be it for reporting, location scouting or just for the banter, so if you have some loose change floating about in your PayPal then please use the link below and chuck a few quid in the pot. :thumb:thumb:thumb

https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/account/upgrades

Long live 28 Days later and all who post in her :D:D

Paradox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I don't use Photobucket but I've chucked you a couple of quid because of the fucking shit you have had to do just to retrieve the images and keep those reports! Massive well done guys am sure you will also be rewarded with beer tokens too!

Bigjobs

Official Smartarse
Regular User
I don't use photobucket, but tbh if you all think that photobucket was out of order for doing this, then unless you are hosting your pics your selves you can guarantee that your pic host is looking at what happens with this photobucket move with envious eyes.

Photobucket have tried to take a loss leader, and make money from it. If they succeed you can bet aht places like flickr will follow suit.

Bottom line is that you should all be looking for somewhere else to host your pics. It will not be free, I reckon that photobucket doing this could very well mark the end for free online pic hosting.

If 28 are offering free online hosting. Take it, appreciate it, understand that donating a few quid here n there is a lot less than the $400 a year that photobucket are charging. A charge that could well become the norm.

Xan_Asmodi

Cave Monster
28DL Full Member
I'll be donating as soon as I get a new job, thank you to OT, Ojay and the rest of the admin and mod team for all their hard work.

Just as a heads up for anyone who was unaware, if you have Amazon Prime you have unlimited photo backup. I'm not sure how it works in terms of being a host but I'll find out and let you know. :thumb

Last edited:

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
I'll just leave this here

IMG_7383.JPG

EOA

Exploring with Bob
28DL Full Member
I wanged through a donation when it all went bandy and it was clear you'd need some help funding the additional hosting and safety brew supplies. Hopefully it's landed. PayPal didn't do it straight away I don't think...

Just checked - I fired it over 1st July but it says, "Paid with pay after delivery". So I'm not sure if it has landed with you yet.

Last edited:

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
I wanged through a donation when it all went bandy and it was clear you'd need some help funding the additional hosting and safety brew supplies. Hopefully it's landed. PayPal didn't do it straight away I don't think...

Just checked - I fired it over 1st July but it says, "Paid with pay after delivery". So I'm not sure if it has landed with you yet.

Cheers mate, I just checked the Paypal account and we got it same day, never got an email though. Thank you.

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Donation made, works out about the same as what I was paying for a Photobucket account each year. Far prefer the money to be put to good use on this site :thumb

I'll still get a few safety brews in next time I catch up with Ojay and OT for all the hard work they have put in the last couple of weeks :D

EOA

Exploring with Bob
28DL Full Member
Cheers mate, I just checked the Paypal account and we got it same day, never got an email though. Thank you.

Awesome - they emailed me the other day so I wasn't sure and forgot to mention it. And no bother; it makes planning my explores a lot easier, so I figured it was rude not to. :thumb

Salmon

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
As I haven't been here long I only had 5 reports to replace the photos on. I did one and it took quite a while to do and I was going to do the others when I could. I just checked and my other reports have been sorted. Thanks so much guys! You are marvelous, I don't know how you have replaced all the images on so many reports!

Thanks to Mockney Reject for this thread and the link to easily send a few quid to help run the forum.
Huge thanks to the mods for working so hard to run this forum which I believe is an important photographic record of social history, architecture and the art of photography of places which would otherwise be forgotten. :thumb