real time web analytics
Report - - Plymouth Grove Hotel – Clock Tower, Manchester, June 2013 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Plymouth Grove Hotel – Clock Tower, Manchester, June 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

FreshFingers

Choose life, choose tunnels
Regular User
Possibly suffering bird muck related diseases: Myself and Alley

Well, for this little number, it was decided that we’d have a little break from the depths of our normal stomping, or should that be crawling grounds, and hit something at ground level.
With the intrepidation rising around a long winded mission on at the moment, we battled the tunnel vision and took advantage of the finer weather up top. “Do you do Sundays…5am?†Well, there’s an offer to be taken, “Yeah, I’m easy!†So, Sunday arrives, a beautiful shiny morning to be had playing out. OK, so we decided that 5am was a little too eager, 2 up, rolling…… at 0730.

Having been primed that the job included a little scaff’ climbing, and we’d be rubbing shoulders with a few birds, we popped open the boot, shoes on, cameras on backs, and off we went.
It became apparent that I wasn’t born to be a climber, and Alley wasn’t to become a tightrope walker either.
After a few moments of foot slippage and trying to hide my lack of climbing prowess, we scaled onto the balcony and took refuge round the back of the clock tower. “Oh, I forgot the gloves!†“Errr yeah, sod them, I’ll have to get down againâ€

We didn’t enter the main building because it’s quite well sealed, and not wanting to get into B & E , we left it at that. The tower was a different story. Given the close proximity of the scaffolding and tower, we made best of the space available to shoot and move around. The inside of the tower is well used by the local Pigeons, so without the protection of gloves, it was a don’t touch bugger all affair.

Background information

Once standing proudly on the corner of Plymouth Grove and Shakespeare Street, later renamed Legh Street, with Victorian housing butting up to the hotel walls, it now stands isolated in a sad state of repair. It was built in 1873 from Red brick with sandstone sill-bands, dressings and a shaped parapet. It has a prominent first floor balcony, cantilevered out and furnished with cast iron railings. The main central doorway set under a projected balcony supported by a pair of coupled columns.
The clock tower, supported by a smaller doorway and columns, has a narrow brick body, flanked by pencil-like columns supporting a twin bracketed cast iron cornice. A wooden staircase winds its way up to the clock mechanism with large windows allowing light to pour into the tower. The top of the staircase allows access to the workings of the clocks, each pedimented on three sides of the tower. Crowning the tower is a small Cupola.
The building was granted Grade II listed status in October 1974. There is a current planning application to convert the building into a Restaurant with self contained accommodation.

Onwards and Upwards

Aside from the external brickwork and bird muck, this shows the detailed woodwork that went into making
housings and support work for the clock faces and mechanisms.
Plymouth+Grove+Hotel+2+800.jpg

The clock tower wrapped in scaffold, according to reports, I think the developers have bigger fish to fry inside the
building, bit of a wreck, dampness and rot has set in due to the place being used for cultivation of plants of the “doobie†variety.
Plymouth+Grove+Hotel+23+800.jpg

Plymouth+Grove+Hotel+16+800.jpg

Our entry point, must be a good hermetic seal, for the whiff behind certainly wasn’t clear to us yet.
Plymouth+Grove+Hotel+15+800.jpg

Crunchy under foot, the smell now very present.
Plymouth+Grove+Hotel+13+800.jpg

The brass bevelled transfer gears still in-situ
IMG_0010_zps49478b4c.jpg

IMG_0009_1_zps3a43365d.jpg

IMG_0004_1_zpsc31260ce.jpg

Plymouth+Grove+Hotel+4+800.jpg

IMG_0013_zps10c5280b.jpg

Plymouth+Grove+Hotel+17+800.jpg

IMG_0029_zpsba7859f1.jpg

IMG_0039_zps726d9f7e.jpg

IMG_0041_zps39048e1e.jpg

IMG_0044_zpsed4a9206.jpg

On-site security
IMG_0051_zps6ce931e2.jpg

Last edited:

FreshFingers

Choose life, choose tunnels
Regular User
It was a bit of a climbing frame attack, but nothing silly. I think it's all converted now isn't it?