real time web analytics
Report - - Pocock Brothers Padded Cell - Haslar Psychiatric Block - Nov 2014 | Noteworthy Reports | Page 9 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Pocock Brothers Padded Cell - Haslar Psychiatric Block - Nov 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

aoxomoxoa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Padded cells can be found in the majority of every medium or high security psychiatric unit in the country. They are used of course for patient safety when drugs alone do not work, and only used for a limited period for the patient to calm down.
Obviously you have great knowledge on the subject, so I stand to be corrected.

I don't have a lot of knowledge on the subject but as I understand the NHS haven't used padded cells for quite a few years now. You obviously know more than me. I did read a report some time ago where they were being used in a school in Wales ... quite recently ... google it.

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
I don't have a lot of knowledge on the subject but as I understand the NHS haven't used padded cells for quite a few years now. You obviously know more than me. I did read a report some time ago where they were being used in a school in Wales ... quite recently ... google it.

Still used for some things, they just don't look as bad and they aren't called a 'cell' any more...

http://www.safespaces.co.uk/

Session9

A life backwards
28DL Full Member
They still have them in Psych Wards, I did some of the design work on Hellingy's replacement and they have something similar, but I cannot remember the name.

Edit: called de-escalation areas, although they aren't fully padded as the old style ones.

The one at Bedford is known as "Dungeon for the mentally awkward" ;)

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
As I say, the one in West Park was evidently in use till the 1990's and presumably this one was probably in use when required till the hospital closure as well.

At Barrow the medium secure unit had what was termed a 'Seclusion Room' and wasn't so much padded but some sort of soft vinyl or similar.

030.jpg

024.jpg

The Lone Shadow

Industrial Fanatic!
28DL Full Member
Took me ages to read all the responses to this thread, but well worth it. What an awesome thread. Nice to see and understand other people's point of views.

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Well, they don't use strait jackets anymore ... that's for sure.

Awkward (mentally or otherwise) doesn't really need that kind of restraint. That's cruel.

Cruel? Who cares?

These are insane lunatics trying to hurt themselves or others?

Surely it's 'cruel' to have them locked up in the first place, what with all their 'rights' being infringed and all that.

Session9

A life backwards
28DL Full Member
Nothing cruel about the use of 'padded cells' these days. Quite the opposite - used as a last resort and only for a short duration to protect the excited patient and all those around them (usually when 'calming' drugs are given time to work).
Cruel? Hardly, yes agree other issues around Human rights etc, but maybe those who think this is cruel, need to come up with an alternative...

Landie_Man

"Landie" or Harry
Regular User
Its all about what YOU see, enjoy it for yourself, explore it and enjoy stepping back into the history of a once bustling place. It doesn't matter how many people have seen it its all about how you portray it and then share your experiences with others. That's what its about; its not about being better than others or trumping others.

As long as you enjoyed it without stealing or causing damage and come out happy thats all that matters. Who cares what others think.

Adders

living in a cold world
Regular User
As long as you enjoyed it without stealing or causing damage and come out happy thats all that matters. Who cares what others think.
Then why would it matter if someone was to steal something or damage something if you don't care what others think?

Landie_Man

"Landie" or Harry
Regular User
Then why would it matter if someone was to steal something or damage something if you don't care what others think?

More what other people think of your efforts of photos. Why does it matter if the tour bus has been through? It doesn't at all. Its not about being first or being better.

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Well, they don't use strait jackets any more ... that's for sure.

Awkward (mentally or otherwise) doesn't really need that kind of restraint. That's cruel.

Why don't you go back in time and give them all the knowledge we have now. They wouldn't have built it if it wasn't needed. I suggest you read some books.

catbalou

off the wall
Regular User
Well, they don't use strait jackets anymore ... that's for sure.

not really.
What it comes down to is the need to stop the person in question inflicting harm on himself, and also to protect other patients and ultimately to minimise harm to the staff looking after the lot of them..
Put it this way, if you worked 14 hour shifts at an understaffed asylum 'back in the day', would you want to be nutted/bitten/punched etc, or would you prefer the patient your dealing with to be restrained so that he/she can calm down in a safe environment?

and RE the person restrained... yeah, frustrating as f*** for them, but at least they still have freedom to move, but cannot strike out and in a position where minimal damage is caused to themselves.

aoxomoxoa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Why don't you go back in time and give them all the knowledge we have now. They wouldn't have built it if it wasn't needed. I suggest you read some books.

Err ... I do read books ... obviously dweeb you don't read the same ones as me. And you misunderstood my post. I suggest you read twice before you post again ... lol !

Who has read this thread (Total: 796) View details