real time web analytics
Report - - Polish Military Camp - February 2017 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Polish Military Camp - February 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Urban_Tomb_Raider

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This one was another I really enjoyed, beautiful scenes of nature reclaiming man made structures, and a quiet, remote place. Shown around by @KM_Punk.

History

The camp was an old Polish Air Force/RAF Station. In 1947 Melton Air Base was formally turned over to the Polish Resettlement Corps, at that time there were 350 Polish airmen, officers and a small contingent of British officers still on site, carrying on as an RAF Station with the King's Regulations rigidly enforced. This made family life for the incoming Polish civilians, wives and children of the air men, extremely difficult. Husbands and wives had to live in separate quarters which naturally caused some friction between the military and civilians, one cannot marshal civilians, especially mothers and children, in the same way as troops. The camp consisted of several sites scattered over small hills with distances of up to three miles from one to another. Three of the sites were allocated for use by Polish dependants arriving from Displaced Persons (D.P.) camps in Africa.

The best thing is that the huge metal gates that were places to keep people out, are now nicked for obvious reasons.

More on http://www.polishresettlementcampsintheuk.co.uk/meltonmowbary01.htm

9iqkoj.jpg

t883tj.jpg

34ngygo.jpg

v5wqo5.jpg

243ncdg.jpg

2mxmjc8.jpg

2nbsp77.jpg

1zv3lae.jpg

1605xc.jpg

2h2mnn4.jpg

dzdxg1.jpg

avras2.jpg

2rnu0i0.jpg

20062e0.jpg

5kq7u9.jpg

Bomb Shelters - Great to look at, but they do reek of sheep piss.

5cnkua.jpg

221fv5.jpg

2zjb320.jpg

2hn25qo.jpg

2mrznyf.jpg

20ax9ow.jpg

A stool being quite literally devoured by the earth.

2rpza0y.jpg

1z23kpc.jpg

5o6vd5.jpg

The ride was getting really filthy now as we drove through the country side, and naturally when there is an opportunity to make a meme, I will always take it.

qrlm46.jpg

Thanks kindly for browsing my photo dumb :D

Punk

Punkus Explorus
28DL Full Member
Nicely done :thumb
This was my third visit. First time was with Six, we had to make a hasty get away when someone shot at us with an air rifle

Urban_Tomb_Raider

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nicely done :thumb
This was my third visit. First time was with Six, we had to make a hasty get away when someone shot at us with an air rifle
Was a good mooch, although I'm definitely feeling the aches and pains this morning from yesterday :O